Active Topics

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
The Apple bias is overrated, it isn't that bad, just everyone keeps going on about it. Engadget seem never to respond to the accusations and now the feeling on the comments is very much that there is a bias.

The N900 has had a rough ride from them - but I think the blog is pitched at more of an 'apple' type gadgeteer than a 'linux' based one, and thus the N900 was never going to go down well. Let's be honest, it's a good device, but the iPhone is probably better for 9 out of 10 people. Hardware wise as well the iPhone is unmatched by anyone, and they like that kind of stuff.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Let's be honest, it's a good device, but the iPhone is probably better for 9 out of 10 people. Hardware wise as well the iPhone is unmatched by anyone, and they like that kind of stuff.
Are you crazy? 9 out of 10???
See the numbers of smartphone sales. Nokia is the number one.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Are you crazy? 9 out of 10???
See the numbers of smartphone sales. Nokia is the number one.
blind love

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
C'mon guys.. Engadget is an apple division... everyone knows it...
It prefers to dev an apple for the palm pre... a phone whose destiny is chapter 11, rather than a n900 app...

But it's ok... I am italian and I find engadget so much apple oriented and USA oriented that I just ignore it... We don't have cdma connection or old 3g network like At&t... we are even able to make decent phone calls over the iphone...

Peace

I browse the site once or twice a day..and i know for certain there is a slight apple bias..but its not so bad..considering they have plenty of good topics of microsoft products...but yea i see what u mean with the nokia posts..

Originally Posted by alexreed88 View Post
I browse the site once or twice a day..and i know for certain there is a slight apple bias..but its not so bad..considering they have plenty of good topics of microsoft products...but yea i see what u mean with the nokia posts..
I have been reading Engadget pretty much from the start and i do like that it's usually up to date with phone news and they do have some good writers. Couldn't read it when there was the whole N95 vs iphone thing going on that just killed the whole site for me for a year, but it's much better now.
They have bad habit to spin positive news to bad or on so many Nokia announcements they left the very positive thing away from it while on other site just that thing is on the title. Hopefully it will get better because i do like Engadget other than that.

Best thing would be if Maemo 6 and maybe Symbian^4 would make it so that the Apple bias is impossible

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by drm View Post
It’s not a nationalist thing. It’s more an economic war. If only nokia didn’t facilitate their live…
When/if they criticize Motorola or Palm, for example, they do it in a very different way, more as if they are disappointed but always rooting for them. They dismiss most foreign firms as clueless, and Nokia they just bash at every opportunity.

I think that on the Apple bias issue, recently they seem to have been trying to consciously reduce it, it's certainly a lot better than a lot of American media.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
they've still not given the n900 a review but have a whole nexus one review plastered on the top of the page.
i read engadget daily but i take their news as i would take a tabloids, i then search for the right info on the story i'm interested in.
most of their comments and views are from an american viewpoint where europe is somewhere in a movie. their stat's are usualy all usa based with regards to market dominance etc.
and as for gattenburg or watever his name is, the self quoting egomaniac, he can't see past his own ego let alone see past the US border.

what other good tech sites do you guys use? i think wired has some interesting news on everything.

edit:
N900 review on gadget republic
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/
http://gizmodo.com/

Last edited by smegheadz; 2010-01-14 at 18:38.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by qw3rty View Post
When/if they criticize Motorola or Palm, for example, they do it in a very different way, more as if they are disappointed but always rooting for them. They dismiss most foreign firms as clueless, and Nokia they just bash at every opportunity.
I have the same feeling...

It is like they need to be waving an american flag every time they talk about an American company... They try really hard to resuscitate Motorola and Palm. At all costs...

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
I have the same feeling...

It is like they need to be waving an american flag every time they talk about an American company... They try really hard to resuscitate Motorola and Palm. At all costs...
Engadget seems pretty gung-ho with respect to HTC. And to be fair, they've never been nice to companies they perceive as being out of touch. That said, their attitude towards the N900 has been rather pathetic (though I suspect they were waiting for this patch...)

Tags
apple, engadget, nokia