Active Topics

I think it's terrible for any OS to demand that the only way to get that application is through an app store. One of my gripes with both Palm and Apple (though yes there are unofficial ways that you can get them on).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@eiffel: yes. The first app in fremantle extras is rootsh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Unity3D people have said they are working on porting their engine to other platforms but refuse to mention which. I guess we'll see what happens.

The best thing about this if it happens is that none of those fart app people use something like Unity... so we'll get more or less the best of the games and far less of the crap.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
@Zerojay: mobile platforms ? I was under the impression the new platforms were consoles (primarily xbox 360). Unity3D, as is, has near-zero support for any form of Linux (not counting server-side stuff and wine), so while they didn't downright refuse linux support I would not keep my hopes high. Their latest stance I'm aware of was

Originally Posted by HiggyB
Linux is of interest as we want to support as many platforms as possible with our run-time, but it's just not risen to a point that it's more important than the multitude of other tasks we have on our to-do list. When the time is right we'll make that move, until then we have what we feel are higher priority (aka "more valuable") issues to deal with.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
@Zerojay: mobile platforms ? I was under the impression the new platforms were consoles (primarily xbox 360). Unity3D, as is, has near-zero support for any form of Linux (not counting server-side stuff and wine), so while they didn't downright refuse linux support I would not keep my hopes high. Their latest stance I'm aware of was
On their forums, they did mention other mobile platforms - again, not specifying which.

Bratag already got wooed over to the N900, even before the recent CyanogenMod mess. I know I'm seriously considering ditching Android for the N900 now, and others in the Android forums have been bringing up the N900 repeatedly.

The concern is that Maemo is no more open than Android, that the N900 still features proprietary Nokia drivers and apps.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
[sherlock holmes hat]

Let's take a look at the people page, which is actually quite revealing... quick scan... no linux folks or team. Now, let's take a look at their jobs page
  • PSP Programmer
  • PS3 Programmer
  • XBox 360 Programmer

[/sherlock holmes hat]

That's why I say no high hopes...

Originally Posted by danguyf View Post
Bratag already got wooed over to the N900, even before the recent CyanogenMod mess. I know I'm seriously considering ditching Android for the N900 now, and others in the Android forums have been bringing up the N900 repeatedly.

The concern is that Maemo is no more open than Android, that the N900 still features proprietary Nokia drivers and apps.
True. But, there's never going to be a completly free driver and application community. Heck even Linux has that problem where some drivers aren't open (or the open ones aren't as good). And some codecs haven't been opened or created yet.

Though Nokia hasn't minded anybody hacking around with their apps and releasing modified versions. Granted, to install them you had to be running Maemo anyway, that is different than the custom ROM situation that CyanogenMod is running into where people may not be running the ROMs on phones that originally came with those applications.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Unity is a commercial company, so they will go where the money is. If they see that the N900/Maemo platform is a big market, and/or if their customers (i.e. the developers that licence their engine) ask for them to support it, I expect they will.

As end-users, I guess we would have to ask developers of our favourite iPhone games if they can port to N900. I'm not sure if it's worth end-users contacting Unity directly, as we aren't their customers.
There is a possible workaround, if the n900's browser supports the Unity 3D plugin, that is. Anybody knows? Only problem is that developers couldnt sell their games, which would remove interest for a lot of people.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
Don't forget Palm
http://jwz.livejournal.com/1096401.html
Definitely don't forget Palm. Not so much WebOS but Palm's original OS. FreewarePalm list 5,088 different applications. That's right, five Thousand. SourceForge shows 416 open source projects that are written for the PalmOS and have released files.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to port PalmOS code to Maemo but if anyone knows where Palm programmers hang out they should at least suggest it.

Tags
android, cyanogen, disgruntled developers, google is not evil, google v. good war, iphone, maemo, piracy