These are GREAT tips. I've already implemented most of them.

What I would love to do, though, is this:

1) Map the left d-pad key to act as the browser's 'back' button to go back to the previous page I was on.

2) Map some other hardware key to launch the bookmarks list.

That way, I can turn off the toolbar and get more screen real estate dedicated to web browsing.

Are either of these possible?

Thanks,

Chris

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
You know guys, I've been wondering if someone should make a utility to edit the opera ini and input ini. Sort of opera tuner. I think it would be great if it had the minimum font size, dpad direction actions, + and - button actions, iframe on/off toggle, maybe a few other. And preset buttons: Automatic performance tune, automatic general tune and default settings.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...earchid=433354

I keep the following text note in my documents folder so at least the directions get backed up.
...you also need to download and install Ossa-Xterm and Become root.
Actually you don't need root access at all. opera.ini is in user space (hence the ~).
Also, the example command seems a bit odd, as opera.ini is located in: ~/.opera/opera.ini, not ./.opera/opera.ini (except if you have navigated first to ~)

I would recommend the following commands:
1. cp ~/.opera/opera.ini /media/mmc1/opera.ini.txt
2. Plugin your n800 / 770 to your computer
3. Edit the opera.ini file in notepad/other text editor.
4. Copy file back to N800/770
5. cp /media/mmc1/opera.ini.txt ~/.opera/opera.ini

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Actually you don't need root access at all. opera.ini is in user space (hence the ~).
Also, the example command seems a bit odd, as opera.ini is located in: ~/.opera/opera.ini, not ./.opera/opera.ini (except if you have navigated first to ~)

I would recommend the following commands:
1. cp ~/.opera/opera.ini /media/mmc1/opera.ini.txt
2. Plugin your n800 / 770 to your computer
3. Edit the opera.ini file in notepad/other text editor.
4. Copy file back to N800/770
5. cp /media/mmc1/opera.ini.txt ~/.opera/opera.ini

Thanks... I'll give that a try.

I wanted something on the device that I could use and refer to after a reflash. A utility like you mentioned previously that is stored in a reprository would be the best.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Do *not* use these settings, unless you like hogging up all the bandwidth/CPU of the servers you are generously using for free. Several servers outright ban anyone trying to connect anywhere near this many times.

So yeah, use these settings if you want to screw over the people that are serving your data and if you want to keep other people out and if you want more and more sites to go pay-only.
It seems to me that if the web server operator is smart enough to embed 50 or 100 images, ads, frames etc. into one page, they probably are smart enough to config the server to handle a couple dozen simultaneous hits.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
It seems to me that if the web server operator is smart enough to embed 50 or 100 images, ads, frames etc. into one page, they probably are smart enough to config the server to handle a couple dozen simultaneous hits.
It doesn't excuse greediness.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Ok... Probably dumb... I've made the changes to opera.ini, yet I can;t notice any performance improvements. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks,
Tim

Update: I rebooted and I can tell the difference now!

Last edited by timsamoff; 2007-06-30 at 17:37.

Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Newbie question: How can I edit that file?

Thanks!
I do this sort of things from a remote computer with a real keyboard. Install dropbear, a ssh server, and then you can login from your computer and do all sorts of nasty things.

To edit a file you could use vi. Which is not everybody's taste. The easiest editor is probably the one from midnight commander. That's what I use.

Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
1) Map the left d-pad key to act as the browser's 'back' button to go back to the previous page I was on.
Why do you want that? The "escape" button already does what you look for.

I used leafpad. It's normal app. Just install it from dowloads.maemo.org. By far the easiest way is to open xterm and just write leafpad ~/.opera/input.ini