Notices

Seems to be working in Central Midwest USA - other than I don't always agree about google's categorization of restaurants!

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
This is working great in Paris neighborhood. I was able to retrieve the 10 nearest bread shops around my house. Very nice!
Now I have to find how to import the result in MM

gnuite, just wanted to thank you for your time and effort on mmapper. It is definitely one of the killer apps for maemo. And I can see from all of your posts that you are very dedicated to its success.

Can't wait to try out the poi service. Still wish I could find a POI with hotspots though.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Thanks for the catch. Try again, it should work now.
Yes, it does

It seems to give some results, but the list it returns is far from complete. I searched for pizza and it returned a few from a few kilometers away, but the two closest ones weren't included in the search result.

Originally Posted by TPC View Post
It seems to give some results, but the list it returns is far from complete. I searched for pizza and it returned a few from a few kilometers away, but the two closest ones weren't included in the search result.
About those two closest ones: if you do a Google Local search in the same vein, are they included in Google's results?

You should be on the payroll at Nokia. Imagine how many n770 and n800s were sold because of MM. It certainly nudged me.

1) Search radius doesn't see to work. For example, if I search for hotels in a radius of 50 miles from Mesa, AZ.... it seems to be giving me results in Mesa, AZ only.

2) Is it possible to import these POI search result into MM POI database (while we patiently wait for MM 2.0)?

3) Would it be possible to implement POI search results in the same way that pre-downloading maps works (supply LAT/LON corners and get all POIs inside the rectangle)?

Again, thanks for all your great work on MM: the best app on the N800!

Originally Posted by tablethelp View Post
1) Search radius doesn't see to work. For example, if I search for hotels in a radius of 50 miles from Mesa, AZ.... it seems to be giving me results in Mesa, AZ only.
This parameter is passed directly to Google, so if it doesn't work in Google Local, it won't work for the web service. Does it work in Google Local?

2) Is it possible to import these POI search result into MM POI database (while we patiently wait for MM 2.0)?
Not yet. Wait patiently for v2.0.

3) Would it be possible to implement POI search results in the same way that pre-downloading maps works (supply LAT/LON corners and get all POIs inside the rectangle)?
That should be available in v2.x, yes. (I'm targeting 2.0, but it may not be immediately present in 2.0 - i.e. possibly 2.1 instead.)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Mhmhm... cant wait for 2.0

Actually, I only installed mapper today, and the only thing I missed was some easy way to get live POIs the same way you get maps. voilà.

BTW: do you plan to inlclude sources other than google? I was tempted to use the script that imports POI-data from wikipedia, but I guess it needs geoclue which doesnt work on my 770. It would be great to have choices

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I'd like to add a POI search mechanism to Maemo Mapper v2.0, which allows you to search for nearby POIs and automatically add them to your POI database. To support this, I've created a web service, similar to how Maemo Mapper works for downloading routes. It's called the GPX POI Search web service, and it returns a GPX document filled with up to ten wpt elements. (As a bonus, I will be adding the ability to import POI from GPX documents.) The URL is as follows:

http://www.gnuite.com/cgi-bin/poi.cgi

I'd appreciate it if some of you could test the service and make sure that it works for you (in your locality). I've tested some American and European searches, but I can't test everything. The "Top Level Domain" variable works the same way - you should get French results if you use a top level domain of "fr".

Also, feedback is welcome. The data comes from Google Maps, and I'm still looking for a way to return more than ten results at a time, so if you know the answer, please let me know.
Hi, does this still work? I had maemo mapper 2.2 and when I tried these services, it said "page not found"...

please help.