Poll: What would you pay for the N810 (USD)?
Poll Options
What would you pay for the N810 (USD)?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
CompUSA positioned the 770 fairly well, I had a fun time checking it out. I would have counted myself as an early adopter... but I was still saving money, and when I finally had the cash they were sold out :-/

Which is why I have an N800 now, got it online though.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
amounts are in US dollars.
Or EUR or GBP (since all technology companies screw us and apply a 1:1 conversion ratio, they don't usually do that with GBP but they try ).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Since you asked what I'd pay, not what the unit's worth, I went with the "Any price under $300" option. It's not that I feel that's a fair price for the N810--it's not, it's absurdly low. However, with the OS2008 upgrade for my N800 I'll have everything from the N810 I really want. An N810 price point lower than $300 though, would make it hard for me resist buying just for the improved looks and to play with the GPS.

If I didn't already have an N800, I'd probably vote two choices higher.

Right now, I can buy an N800 and its navigation kit from Buy.com for $436.98 shipped. The N810 is effectively an integrated bundle of those items, admittedly with several refinements and, of course, the addition of the slider keyboard. Now, I realize that the slider keyboard does add cost, but it seems to me that Nokia might benefit from quickly moving the N810 to a price point lower than the combined cost of the N800 and navkit. They might then move more of the higher priced N810 units as Internet tablet buyers consider that they might want GPS someday, and therefore, select the N810 to "save money". A $399 price point would do this, plus stay below that magical $400 barrier, but even $410 or $415 would likely work well.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, I specifically chose "what you'd pay" for a reason. Value means different things to different people.

The results are skewing low, but the distribution is still fairly normal, which makes sense.

$479 is pretty high for it IMO. It doesn't have a cellular modem, doesn't have good contact management (which can be synced to Mac/PC), is the email client updated?

The hardware is nice, but software provides a lot of the value, and its lacking in that department. Maybe the value is in the updates they provide... hopefully 2 years of support at least.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by jzencovich View Post
They should open a flag store in Montreal... I feel so at home when I look around downtown.... almost everyone has a Nokia cell! it used to be RAZRs, but they're getting few and far between.

I wish Nokia would open up something here
I had to order the IT from Tigerdirect as I wasn't able to find one around MTL.

this said, The n810 should be priced just a bit over the price of a handheld GPS. So they get the business from the IT lovers, the Geeks and from the normal people looking for a GPS that can browse the hotel's free internet when on trip. (perfect for motorcycle drivers.)

I was really expecting the N810 to fall into the same price range as the N800 when I bought it (a bit under $350). I was prepared to pay around $400 for it considering it offers some additional hardware. I'm really second guessing my decision to buy if it's at $480 though, especially since it only takes MiniSD so I'll need to buy at least one more MiniSD card on top of the purchase price.

I'm going to wait and see how discounted the price is on Amazon and I'll probably also wait a couple months to see if any of the software changes enough that the keyboard would be a big help. My wife is really encouraging me to buy the N810 because I told her that I would pass my N800 along to her; now that I see some of the changes, I'm not sure I want to give up my N800 quite yet. I'll probably keep it around for the dual full-size SD card slots and maybe I'll buy my wife her own N800

Congratulations to the designers and engineers at Nokia! I think the N810 is a great piece of tech but at the $480 price point I don't know if it will make sense for me to upgrade or wait for the next tablet model.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The N810 is basically an N800. Difference: Two add-ons that you needed to buy separately and kept forgetting on the train (BT keyboard and BT GPS) are built in, but replaced the 2 standard-sized SD-slots. (Which means that you can buy things that turn an N800 into an N810, but with an N810 you never get the full functionality of an N800, btw.)

So I think the N810 should be either as expensive as the N800 (they left something out, added something else... averages out) or a little more expensive (up to $50,-) for the convenience you get (no extra chargers etc. for the GPS/keyboard).

If it came with full mapping software, out of the box, id say $480. But, I believe its coming out with half complete software, and they want you to spend another $130 to unlock it. So, assuming I need to do that, id pay $350 tops.

Does Nokia sell factory refurbished units to the public?

I think I've heard of some of the 770's being sold this way. Wonder if that would be a good way to get an 800 or 810 (once they have been out for a while) at a discount but still with a warrantee...