Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I like the new design ... great job !

good design! just a quick suggestion.. please make internettablettalk faster to load on maemo devices!! just showing less blog posts on homepage will be a huge speed boost! thanks!

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It's not that I'm complaining (as there'll be other themes surely), but I still don't understand how anyone can read the dark themes.. is it a cultural thing? I mean, maybe some of you grew up with saturated colours and white text on a black screen.. possibly the brain will hardwire itself to handle it (I'm only half joking here..). For me it's difficult to read it on the desktop, impossible on the N800. Thank goodness for the Classic look!
I think power consumption will be less on dark background than bright, so this might be the reason for itT's site design.

Last edited by Kozzi; 2007-11-06 at 11:15.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I think power consumption will be less on dark background than bright, so this might be the reason for itT's site design.
********, what drives power consumption is the backlighting, so it doesn't matter if the page is mostly bright or mostly clear.
Anyway, I agree that's very difficult to read on a normal screen, much worse on the tablet. That's why I'm using the classic theme

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It's not that I'm complaining (as there'll be other themes surely), but I still don't understand how anyone can read the dark themes.. is it a cultural thing? I mean, maybe some of you grew up with saturated colours and white text on a black screen.. possibly the brain will hardwire itself to handle it (I'm only half joking here..). For me it's difficult to read it on the desktop, impossible on the N800. Thank goodness for the Classic look!
Usually I avoid sites that have the dark background. They usually appear to be sites with a young audience. I think the human eyes change once you reach 20 years old, making the black background both painful and embarrassing.

When books start printing with black backgrounds, I'll give up.

Anyway, I'm glad this site has the "classic" theme available on the forums.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by godisjustpretend View Post
When books start printing with black backgrounds, I'll give up.
Additive versus subtractive mediums are the key here. Your computer display adds light to display things, so light text on a black background makes sense and is (for me, anyway) easier on the eyes. Printed medium is subtractive, it takes away light to display information, so a dark text on a light background makes sense for that. Perhaps you guys just need to update your prescriptions.

As per the power usage, yes, the background has no effect on backlight power usage, but some LCD types and all CRTs use less power in displaying dark pixels, so there is a positive correlation to the amount of energy saved and the use of dark backgrounds, though miniscule.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Reggie: it would be really great if you could tweak the "Mobile" themes too, I use them a lot on my N800. I know I can (just about) use the full fat theme on the N800, but over Bluetooth on a pay-per-MB GSM connection it costs me a fortune! An "optimised" Mobile theme for ITt would be really cool.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Additive versus subtractive mediums are the key here. Your computer display adds light to display things, so light text on a black background makes sense and is (for me, anyway) easier on the eyes. Printed medium is subtractive, it takes away light to display information, so a dark text on a light background makes sense for that. Perhaps you guys just need to update your prescriptions.
So if i find the usual black on white easier to read, I'm doing something wrong? Wow. (Oh, yeas, I forgot I'm stupid.)

minority = minority + 1
stoopid = stoopid + 1

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I have to agree, I much prefer the lighter themes.