Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
One "new user" suggestion qnuite... on first run, you might want to ask the user where to store the map files.

The default is in device memory, but that's pretty small and if the user has an SD card installed they would probably prefer to keep it there (or in the 2GB memory in the N810).

I changed my file locations manually later, but that's a bit of administrative work I think most users would like to avoid... altering paths for 5 or 6 repositories and for the POI file and then cleaning up the old locations. A choice at the start would save users that hassle later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by jgallen23 View Post
is there any way to have saved locations? Such as home, work, etc.

Thanks
Those are called POIs (points of interest) in the maemo mapper world. Just tap and hold anyplace on the map. When the menu comes up select "Tap Point > Add POI..."

You can also import them from a GPX file that your GPS receiver might make. I'm working on a simple converter script to import the google maps "My Places" points into Maemo Mapper. It's a little rough/complicated right now, but it's over here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11323

There's also lots more info in the Help file and on gnuite's site.

-John

Has anyone tried it on their 770 with OS2006 yet?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by ShyBoy View Post
I was unable 2 install flite component, it saya package not compatible...

I am on n800 with OS2008.
I got the same message with my N810 trying to download mapper, tried again IT WORKED!!
Installed, now I need to learn how to use it

Not sure if this is unique or not, but I can't seem to get the app to recognize the internal gps on my 810. The new version is great, but would be greater with the internal gps. Great work gunite! You've created one of the better apps for the IT. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
I tried with the .install file and it didn't work, I just used apt-get from command line and it worked fine,

one thing though, is it just my eyes or do the maps look slightly more pixelated than the previous versions ?

Cheers
Rip

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
@Gnuite - As ever thank you. So far so good - tomorrow I will test properly.

New ideas features from me (and they have probably been covered already)
1) PC based management for creating, loading etc... POI's
2) PC based map scraper with backup. Thinking just like the map management where you specify levels and area and off it goes to create a DB. What would be really cook is the ability to hold multiple DB's on a PC (with the disk space) and to just swap them out on the tablet as needed.

Just thoughts

Originally Posted by tfinnan View Post
Not sure if this is unique or not, but I can't seem to get the app to recognize the internal gps on my 810. The new version is great, but would be greater with the internal gps. Great work gunite! You've created one of the better apps for the IT. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Try using the "File Path" option in Settings, and specify "/dev/pgps" as the path. At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work, but since I don't have an N810, I have no idea if that actually works.

Originally Posted by technut View Post
One "new user" suggestion qnuite... on first run, you might want to ask the user where to store the map files.
Maybe I broke something, but the expected behavior is for Maemo Mapper to bring up the "Manage Repositories" dialog automatically upon first start. That's where you specify the Map Cache DB location. It's possible that I broke the "first start" detection code....

Of course, I'm sure most people just breeze right through that dialog. They probably also press "Cancel" when Maemo Mapper suggests that you read the "Quick Start" help document....

@ gnuite.

I tried the 'file path' option first, before posting. I am assuming that the default info filled in under that heading in the options menu is sufficient, and that there isn't anything else that needs to be entered. Anyhow, I'm willing to be a guinea pig if it helps the community. Let me know if you have any additional suggestions.