Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Bumping the thread to find out if there are any fixes on this? Most of my movies/videos I need to be in a quiet environment to hear the conversations in the video.

By the way, which video player is the best?

Mplayer is the fastest one, but it's kind of buggy.
Mplayer has a volume gain with soft-clipping (compression). This will bring up the quiet parts in a movie and dynamically clip the peaks that are distorting

for example, this pulls up audio by 6.2 dB

mplayer -af volume=-6.2:1 mymovie.avi

(edit) what do you mean, 'buggy'?

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-04-06 at 07:06.

mplayer also has softvol option. Run something like:

mplayer -softvol -softvol-max 1000 movie.avi

I don't want to buy earphones because I have already enough earphones and somebody has already the solution here.

Nice command line, but doesn't MPlayer have a config file so I won't have to retype these options in the pretty command line?

And by the way, how do I edit the application shortcuts in the OS menu? The "Panels" setting only allows me to organize the panel items, not edit them. D:

MPlayer is buggy because...
-Other windows can't draw over MPlayer while a video is playing, I have to minimize it.
-Sometimes there is no image, I need to minimize and restore.
-Can't seek where I want, only by 10secs increments (more like a missing feature)
-When I click "MPlayer", the GMPlauncher window appears and it's stuck on "Videos". I can't find a way to access my list of audio files. (again, more like a missing feature, does it actually search for all videos on all drives or the default folders to search into are set somewhere?)

*edit*
From the OSD, I opened a music file and I was left with no window in the taskbar and the music file playing with no way to close it. I have to wait for it to stop on itself. D:

Last edited by Deko; 2008-04-06 at 19:34.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by xhumeka View Post
...One thing that REALLY REALLY bugs me however, is that I have found no way to pre-amp music/videos that are very quiet....
Benson has a solution for you, thread #5, for playing music. Install XMMS, it is the ONLY equalizer equipped player for the tablet. Turn the equalizer all the way up, will give you 100X/20db increase in volume.

bun

This is disturbing... Nobody has mentioned buying a headphone amp, this way your audio is generally being amplified by a vastly superior amplifier, it can be set at any volume without going through interface boxes on the NIT, and it helps prolong your battery life since you won't have your audio very high on the actual Internet Tablet.

Use a headphone amp on all your devices for better sound fidelity.

If want to add more awesome to your life ( and volume, and 3 people) get this:
http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

i love mine!

these can be found for less than 20 bones.

Last edited by bobloadmire; 2008-04-07 at 03:30.

Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
If want to add more awesome to your life ( and volume, and 3 people) get this:
http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

i love mine!

these can be found for less than 20 bones.
It helps doesn't it. I'm audio paranoid so I think I might get a better more expensive one lol.... that one is the only mainstream headphone amp i've seen so far. Audiophiles wouldn't prefer per say, but its realli good from what i've understand....

[EDIT]This is my fifith edit tonight pretty much lol, well just realized I might be mistaken... I think I got another amp mixed up w/ that one lol.... oops, I should get some caffine or something, oh and btw bobloadmire nice review on that site I just noticed that[/EDIT]

Last edited by scumgrief; 2008-04-07 at 05:45. Reason: Fatuge is hard to shake

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
As Benson has already mentioned - XMMS has a pre-amp and equalizer that work fabulously for music playback.

As for louder movies - you can edit your /.mplayer/config file to allow a higher volume. I've made my config file to read as follows:

ao=sdl
softvol=yes
softvol-max=450

Hope that helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scumgrief View Post
It helps doesn't it. I'm audio paranoid so I think I might get a better more expensive one lol.... that one is the only mainstream headphone amp i've seen so far. Audiophiles wouldn't prefer per say, but its realli good from what i've understand....

[EDIT]This is my fifith edit tonight pretty much lol, well just realized I might be mistaken... I think I got another amp mixed up w/ that one lol.... oops, I should get some caffine or something, oh and btw bobloadmire nice review on that site I just noticed that[/EDIT]

what review are you talking about?

Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post
what review are you talking about?
*blush* too many b's and o's lol Your name looks like the product name at half a glance