The money is behind this platform... Nokia hasn't commited itself to the tablets, and it shows. Look how quickly Apple developed this, TONS of progress in less than 1 year.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
mjparker75-"After seeing that Monkeyball demo, I have to say I'm sold. This is quickly becoming exactly what I envisioned in my tablet device."

Is there video of this yet or were you actually there ?

Apple usually puts up the vids a couple of hours after the actual event.

Originally Posted by wls View Post
so? the $100 is for some developement tools to run a virtual iphone to test your app and a digital certificate giving you authorization to publish your apps to the App store. seems like a decent deal.
Not to mention the 100 million Apple is giving to fund development.

The SDK is actually free, and you can build your app.. test it locally and once its ready for primetime you can publish it for a 1 time fee of $99. You can just show your app off and get some donations. From that point on, any additional apps you write are still published and hosted for free.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
It is huge and shows the difference between a professionl job and an amateur one for supporting apps. Makes Maemo look rather weak.
I could say more but what's the point, I decided to get an Itouch and it looks like that was a good decision.

I disagree...there is a big difference in the approach...Apple set out to build the killer phone that includes Internet while the IT was created as an open source Internet browser. I believe that Nokia has taken a market-based approach by creating the hardware and some software and letting the community develop most of the applications. Contrast this where Apple has created the platform, the tools, and the delivery method (and not entirely open source).

I will stick with my N800.

I also paid a heck of a lot less for my N800 than my brother did for his iPhone...

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
It is cute, but I think you are falling a victim of Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field(tm). As far as I can tell, the SDK is nice but it is not anything special. Does what an SDK has to do. Does not create miracles. Whether it has any hidden caveats, only the time can tell. Let's wait and see.
I tried to install Maemo SDK about a year ago but could not get it work on my Ubuntu laptop. So compared to that, I think Apple SDK is looking quite nice. (Ok, I haven't tried the newer Maemo SDKs and I'm not the greatest Linux guru..)

I have been drooling over ITTs since 770 but I still haven't bought one. When N800 was released, I tried the SDK to see if that could push me over the fence but it didn't.

If iPod Touch had a bluetooth, I would have ordered one already. And of course Intel MIDs are also coming. I got to admit that Nokia is looking less desirable every day.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
It is huge and shows the difference between a professionl job and an amateur one for supporting apps. Makes Maemo look rather weak.
I could say more but what's the point, I decided to get an Itouch and it looks like that was a good decision.
I think you need to separate maemo.org with other tablet development. Nokia is working with Adobe, Wayfinder, Gizmo, Microsoft, Skype, etc... We don't know Nokia's relationship with these other corporations as far as tablet development is concerned. All we know about is the SDK which is open source. Apple as usual shows there entire hand to make it look like the world is behind them.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Whats most amusing about all this is that love em or hate em, Apple has done more with their product (iPhone/Touch) in a year then Nokia and Maemo has done in over 3 years.

I believe more people on this side of the fence are probably more angry with that then with anything else, is why so many ppl are so defensive about guarding their NIT's.

We all have to admit deep down that we wished our NIT's worked and looked half as good at doing menial things that Apple seems to have hit on right out of the gate.

Just because you have the "best" hardware etc., doesn't always mean you'll win. What wins is numbers and right now NIT can't even think about comparing with Apples' user base.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Every day there comes the device that is faster, harder, better and stronger. This is life

Last edited by wazd; 2008-03-06 at 21:30.

so? the $100 is for some developement tools to run a virtual iphone to test your app and a digital certificate giving you authorization to publish your apps to the App store. seems like a decent deal.
Doesn't that mean there won't be much freeware for the iPhone ?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Doesn't that mean there won't be much freeware for the iPhone ?
There is a $99 fee to become a part of the Apple developer network. The SDK and all associated tools will be free. The $99 is to get your "digital certificate" and to have your programs published on AppStore.

What the freeware community could do is create a "company" with one $99 fee and publish under this name on AppStore. And frankly I'd have no problem donating a few bucks to someone that showed me a spectacular app to help with is $99 cost.

And I greatly look forward to commercial quality software from big publishers.

Last edited by sherifnix; 2008-03-06 at 21:53.