Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Oh man... you got burned by dealextreme.

I agree with qole; if it's already gone, don't unplug it, put a ceramic plate under it and videotape it.
Burn Baby Burn

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
For which purpose? To me it looks like:
  • Plug into a USB extension cable
    A little flexible section at the end is all you need; the USB cable does the reaching to where you want it.
  • Hack it up and make other chargers
    Well, you can add more cable if you need it, since you're soldering anyway. Short is good though, I think.
  • Plug it straight into a port on your computer
    What in the world are you thinking????
(All free USB ports on my computer are brought up onto my desk with cables, anyway. Maybe for laptops, this makes more sense to be longer.)
1. My laptop desk works better for me if my phone is on the right side of my laptop when in use. The cord will not reach that far.

2. I have gone to an all-usb charging solution in my cars. Since at any given time we may have phones, an N810, Nintendo DS Lites, etc, I use a USB cigarette lighter adapter and a 4-port USB hub to make everyone happy at once. But if my kids need the Nintendo cables, the hub winds up in the back of the car and the Nokia-type cables don't reach as is.

Yeah, I need to make sure I have a zip extender on hand now. Or 2 or 3. *sigh*... what a spider's web of cables I have now. I sure hope newer cars have USB ports throughout...

I bought this cable from dealextreme and unfortunately it came DOA. I can't justify sending it back to them for replacement so I took the lump. YMMV, but I figured I'd chime in that I'd gotten a dead one...

The Following User Says Thank You to rkopper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Canada
I have a ebay bought fake and a airport bought orginal ca-100 and the real one's sticker looks like the melted one. where as my fake one says nokia and has some chinese looking writing on it.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
so then I have a fake cable?? But my packaging looked so official... How do we know which one is real?

More to the point, why do we care which one is real, as long as it doesn't go smokey-bang (when you're not videotaping)?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
My concern is coming from past Palm usage and hearing about how some people had fried their devices by using fake, poorly made chargers that weren't properly regulated.

Perhaps I'm being niave - I just thought that things going boom!! while attached to your power jack was potentially very bad.

Well, poor regulation is not likely to be a problem; this is powered from USB (+5V), so the more likely problem (WRT power going into the device) will be insufficient voltage, not overvoltage or overcurrent.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rkopper View Post
I bought this cable from dealextreme and unfortunately it came DOA. I can't justify sending it back to them for replacement so I took the lump. YMMV, but I figured I'd chime in that I'd gotten a dead one...
You don't need to ship it back to get replacement. Not sure about more expensive stuff but at least for $5-10 item range they ship replacement for free and don't ask to return the item. Got like 3 such 'replacements' from them for various cheap stuff, they never wanted to return item back. There is "RMA & Replacement" link in order list and you can select broken SKU from your order and explain what's wrong. They will just send it again.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Canada
my orginal has 5 ohms resistance where as the fake has less than one