Notices

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Windsor, Ontario, Canada
OK I must be dense. I've installed this... how do I use it? I open xterm, but what do I type? :P

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by subverted View Post
How do you use it with SSH? Is there a method? I 'm on linux and have been using KBTIN but I want to use SSH rather than telnet and KBTIN sucks for SSH MUD connection. I want to connect to a MUD through SSH but am missing something important about how it works. I use screen and XTERM always. In order to SSH, do you just in your own LINUX OS term just type SSH plus username@computername before starting TinyFugue everytime? Otherwise how can you tell it is in SSH mode?
I suspect he meant that he uses ssh to connect to a computer that remotely runs a copy of screen (to make a detachable terminal) running tinyfugue. I've done that lots of times.. but it's also nice to actually HAVE tf right on the Nokia in case you can't reach your own system over ssh or prefer to just connect from anywhere.

Originally Posted by MindMusic View Post
OK I must be dense. I've installed this... how do I use it? I open xterm, but what do I type? :P
It doesn't seem to immediately be in the default path. You can launch it at xterm's command line with:
/usr/local/bin/tf

If you've never used tf before, you will be lost--hopefully you will go out and google up some info on tinyfugue.

I also highly recommend that, to make things shorter.. you can create a shortcut to it with:
ls -s /usr/local/bin/tf tf
Then, from the home directory, you can just type:
./tf

Better still, if you've got root access, log in as root and issue:
ls -n /usr/local/bin/tf /usr/bin/tf
Then, you can just type 'tf' from anywhere to launch it under xterm.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I also highly recommend that, to make things shorter.. you can create a shortcut to it with:
ls -s /usr/local/bin/tf tf
Then, from the home directory, you can just type:
./tf

Better still, if you've got root access, log in as root and issue:
ls -n /usr/local/bin/tf /usr/bin/tf
Then, you can just type 'tf' from anywhere to launch it under xterm.
you could also create a tf.desktop in /usr/share/applications/hildon and launch it from the gui, though I think I actually pointed the icon to a shell script that ran the app, though which one eludes me now. you could also create a shortcut button in Xterm that launches it, though that takes a lot of work to create with a ' * ' between every letter. I created one of these for sudo gainroot so that all I need do is click on the gainroot button in xterm and I am there.

See:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hortcut+create

for what I mean... There is another thread that actually spells out how to make a toolbar shortcut with commands in it, but I can not find it at the moment.

My question is, being that I have never used a MUD client per say (just telnet or SSH depending on the mud) What is the advantage of the client over a plain terminal?

Last edited by tobiasj; 2009-02-26 at 16:34.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post
My question is, being that I have never used a MUD client per say (just telnet or SSH depending on the mud) What is the advantage of the client over a plain terminal?
Command recall, editing in place before send, potentially nick highlighting etc.

BTW, there's a tinyfugue receipt/package in mud already. I've not tried building it recently, but getting it into Extras should be a case of:

Code:
mud build tf
scp upload/tf*.tar.gz upload/tf*.dsc upload/tf*.changes
Admittedly this last step should just be mud upload tf, but that trivial enhancement's yet to be implemented.

The package could be enriched with menu entries, terminal auto-starts and lovely icons just like the vim package with a small amount of work.

sorry, I made a mistake in my last post, the xterm menu shortcut doesn't use * it uses .

Stolen from another thread you make them this way.

Go into xTerminal.
Select main Menu -> Tools -> Settings
Click on Toolbar Shortcut
Add (New) a new shortcut
Title = Sudo (or whatever you want to name it)
Value = s . u . d . o . KP_Space . g . a . i . n . r . o . o . t . KP_Enter

This works great to launch any number of Xterm apps and such.

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to tobiasj For This Useful Post:
Hey fellas,

I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I have been trying to tinker and get tinyfugue runnning for the past few days. I know how to use the client, but it appears that the .deb package above and the binaries were compiled with libssl 0.9.7 and the current version is 0.9.8.

I don't suppose anybody is willing to either help me downgrade libssl, recompile tinyfugue, or tell me how to upgrade the package dependency to be the current version of libssl?

Thanks,

Will

Last edited by wstutt; 2010-01-02 at 12:18.

I'll try building the MUD package version of it tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
So weird I was just thinking about my old MUDS today.

Ivory Tower? After Hours? Ritual Sacrifice?

Anyone anyone?

Well either way thanks for this.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'll try building the MUD package version of it tomorrow.
TinyFugue v5.0b8 is on its way through the autobuilder to extras-devel as we speak:

Please could someone test before I send it on its way to Extras-testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I don't think that the autobuild worked. Both of the appearances of tinyfugue there are giving the "Failed" log. Unless I am misreading it.
And it is also not showing up in the extras-devel/dists/fremantle/binary-armel repository.

I am also going to have to look into how to upload to the autobuilder.

I didn't even know we had one of those.

Regards,

Will