Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I think there is thread here about 'overclocked' wi-fi driver by Serge and you can find his reports also in maemo-developers and cx3110x-devel at garage.maemo.org
(thread WLAN Horrible Roaming Performance (N800, OS2008), Software or Hardware Problem ?) Not sure now but the speed was over 1MB/s then. This is partly due to suboptimal code in cx3110x driver and slow SPI bus used for talking to the chip (raising SPI bus clock helps).
These cx3110x driver performance patches were developed for Nokia 770 (with some more optimizations still possible). But technically it should be possible to have a major WLAN performance improvement for N800/N810 too. Either by trying to change cx3110x driver back to use tasklets as it was used on Nokia 770 and apply the same modifications, or by introducing (similar?) optimizations to the new code.

Nokia 770 users may use them to enjoy much faster WLAN speed. I have been using 21mhz build for a very long time already and it still works quite reliable for me. A link to the post with the precompiled cx3110x driver binaries and some instructions is here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=19

It would be nice to provide an easy way to install a performance tweaked WLAN driver as an alternative to having just N770: installable bugfix for bug #2006 - Memory corruption during WLAN use only.

The Following User Says Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
You tweak connections to fit devices needs and at this point is browsing the web, listening to streamed music, receiveing an e-mail - so that's what device is design for.
If that's all it was designed for then why can't I get those design specs? These are serious questions that handicap developers.

The overclocked driver appear to be for the 770, but at 22kHz it was able to achieve 1.3MB/s transfers. Most of the work that went into the drivers were optimizations to prevent busy-waiting and general dumb driver behavior. I have little doubt that much more can be squeezed from the 810 without compromising battery life.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Yes, You are both right.
User expectations are usually greater than hardwired or simply programmed solution.
I'm writing that from my point and my experience as hardware designer (of mainly battery powered eqipment). If there is ANY compatibility/speed tradeoff compatibility ALWAYS wins the match.
And if you are talking about compatibility You look at the whole device ie. You don't care about wifi driver faster than Your ability of storing/processing data and so on.
I've got Your point but as for g standard - being compatibile doesn't always mean "fulfilin requirements to it's max".

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
This is not about compatibility or battery tradeoffs, this is about a crappy implementation of a closed source driver. Saying that I can push 5MB/s on 802.11g does not mean that I'm expecting it on a n810. I'm a little bit more than frustrated at 750kB/s ( on a good day, with specific AP's, during the full moon, juggling chipmunks ) that this device manages to eek out.

The CPU is not the bottleneck, the bus is not the bottleneck, the flash is not the bottleneck, it's the crappy implementation. It's already been surpassed by the 770 with hacked drivers and that's pretty pathetic.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
I a number of times a day have to disconnect from a ap an reconnect because the wifi connection on the n800 has gone flakey an will not work any more. It is getting more than a joke now :/

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
As I already said - You are right and You can always be frustrated and say it's crappy etc. but it still fits to my explanation.
You seem to live in a dreamworld in which everything has to be OPTIMAL - in reality the time to develop/verify better driver simply cost not virtual money and if there is no a MUST - development would be a waste.
Sad maybe but shockingly popular on the market.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
This is not about compatibility or battery tradeoffs, this is about a crappy implementation of a closed source driver. Saying that I can push 5MB/s on 802.11g does not mean that I'm expecting it on a n810. I'm a little bit more than frustrated at 750kB/s ( on a good day, with specific AP's, during the full moon, juggling chipmunks ) that this device manages to eek out.
The best what I could get with 802.11g was ~3MB/s. Did you get your 5MB/s transfer with some nonstandard "super", "highspeed", "turbo" or any other kind of extension: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_G...ss_networking) ?

The CPU is not the bottleneck, the bus is not the bottleneck, the flash is not the bottleneck, it's the crappy implementation. It's already been surpassed by the 770 with hacked drivers and that's pretty pathetic.
It's not crappy, it's just "good enough" I have to agree with XTC here. Any performance optimizations, especially nontrivial ones increase risk of introducing bugs. And this all means increased cost of development, testing, etc. I did not hear much complains about WLAN performance here in this forum, interest in increasing wifi performance seems to be very low.

A good thing about free software is that anybody can take part in improving features he is interested in. At least part of cx3110x driver is open source and it is the part where performance optimizations need to be added.

Originally Posted by Ricky-Lee View Post
I a number of times a day have to disconnect from a ap an reconnect because the wifi connection on the n800 has gone flakey an will not work any more. It is getting more than a joke now :/
Well, if you want to have your problem fixed, you need to report it providing the relevant details which can help in tracking this bug. A very long, detailed (and somewhat boring for those who already know most of this stuff) explanation why and how this all generally works can be found here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Providing this link as an answer caused a lot of flames here http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/38777 but I still think that it is an interesting article to read.

A good bugreport can really help to get the problem fixed, and a bugfix can be done not necessarily by Nokia. Like happened with the bug #2006 in OS2006 that was already mentioned in this topic.

For wlan driver, it is interesting to check dmesg log after the problem is spotted. But first make sure that you are running the latest version of firmware on your device, just because something like what you are describing was fixed in diablo.

You can't get 5MB/s on standard, compatible 802.11g. Only in vendor-specific modes (see my posting above: d-link to d-link, asus to asus etc.) However, I wouldn't mind if our NITs could move 2.3MB/s instead of 750KB/s.. my gut feeling is that most of the speed problem will be in the driver, not in the hardware. But that's the problem with closed-source drivers, there's no easy way to confirm one way or another.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
... my gut feeling is that most of the speed problem will be in the driver, not in the hardware. But that's the problem with closed-source drivers, there's no easy way to confirm one way or another.
The relevant part of the wifi driver is open source and hackable. Nobody prevents anyone from trying to solve performance problems. For example, here is a discussion about compiling/modifying the driver to solve some WPA issues: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22828