Psj, thansk for your reply. I tried it but no luck. I found a spot at my work it works fine :-) its not perfect but at least i can sync my emails

regards

Just to chime in; I think 2006 is broken in this way as well.

I can assign a static IP address to the device and attach to a WAP fine. I can get an address off ppp0 when connecting to EDGE/GPRS via Bluetooth to a Nokia N90 and using T-Mobile data service, but if I connect to any WAP and use dhcp I do not get an address and the dhcp client assigns the link-local address to $interface.

It seems really like a stupid bug to have, since a lot of people with the 770 will presumably be relying on dhcp to configure the device when they're at a hotspot, but whatever.

Short of waiting for an update, does anyone have any solutions? I haven't attempted to force dhclient to run, I am not entirely certain how GNU/Linux does dhcp these days.

fwiw my home DHCP server is Mac OS X Server, my WAP is a Linksys 54g with Linksys firmware, and I have tried all manner of encryption/auth/on/off.

I haven't tried static DHCP yet. That wouldn't really solve my problem though.

Originally Posted by emory
fwiw my home DHCP server is Mac OS X Server, my WAP is a Linksys 54g with Linksys firmware, and I have tried all manner of encryption/auth/on/off.

I haven't tried static DHCP yet. That wouldn't really solve my problem though.
I have the same issue. I find I get link-local connections about 50% of the places I try to connect. My home WLAN is using a Linksys 54g running Sveasoft. I have found that if I restart (unplug / replug) the problem is corrected for a few days. Not sure why this works. This solution doesn't help for access at public wireless locations. "I'll have an expresso, and would you mind rebooting your network so I can check my stock quotes?"

I noticed that I started getting the "connected with local ip address" message after enabling the option to use the memory card as additional virtual memory. Once I disabled that option I haven't had any more problems connecting with local ip address except for the ocasional weak signal.
Anyone else notice this?

Every once in a while I also get the local link message. I have not used the virtual memory and also use dhcp to asign a IP address. When I get the error message I disconnect and connect again. At the latest after the second time I get a working internet connection. Hope that helps some of the others with this problem.

I upgraded from OS2005 to OS2006 almost immediately after getting my 770. I have had almost nothing but "local link" connections. It does not matter if I am near or far from the router. It happens with WEP on and off. I've tried different power settings, no luck. I've tried static addressing.

Every once in a while - not consistently - I can connect to a open router that my neighbour has kindly positioned in their back window right behind my house. Most of the time I get the "local link" message even with this router. I note that a Windows CE PDA and Windows XP can connect no problem, first try.

It sure seems like wireless is at least partially busted on the 770. It is a shame as everyone admires the screen. I think an important part of any future release would be to improve the diagnostics capability for the wireless.

I'm not a fan of WPA or WEP on these low end routers such as Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link. The problem is that most of these devices use software (firmware) encryption which hampers the performance of the device. I prefer to use to MAC authentication and with my SSID broadcast turned off. I've also seen in the past that WPA or WEP does cause problems with some devices regarding DHCP; could be Nokia's problem or the AP's problem.

Sure without WEP or WPA, someone could sniff my packets, but I'm not overly concerned with that. They are not going to easily be able to connect to my wi-fi and use it. Sure they could just change their MAC, but then I'll get MAC conflicts on my machines and will know something is up, too much of a headache for the wi-fi road warrior.

Originally Posted by bac522
Sure without WEP or WPA, someone could sniff my packets, but I'm not overly concerned with that. They are not going to easily be able to connect to my wi-fi and use it. Sure they could just change their MAC, but then I'll get MAC conflicts on my machines and will know something is up, too much of a headache for the wi-fi road warrior.
What about the more mundain. Collect information from your wireless network and then use it to their personal gain. You know the simple things, credit card numbers, email addresses, site passwords, and the like.

Has there been any progress at all on the "link local" IP address issue? My 770 seems to be unable to get an address from DHCP anytime I'm in an area where lots of wireless networks are visible. If there's just one network (like my home network), it does fine. Take it to a public place, however, and it's useless.

The really frustrating thing is that I had this problem with the 770 when I first got it, but one of the updates to the 2005 OS fixed the problem. Then I upgraded to the 2006 OS and it's back again. Now it's almost the end of 2006 and, unless I'm mistaken, there have been ZERO updates to correct any of the problems with the 2006 OS, including this one. I must say I'm a little disappointed, but I would love to hear about if anyone has come up with a custom fix for the link local address problem.