Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yeah the email questions is a good idea.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NateLikesClaire View Post
do i need a talkshoe account to listen and/or participate?
Nope! If you have a Talkshoe account, you're more likely to get on the air, though, but it's not required at all. When you call into the show's phone number, you have the option to call in as a guest caller. When you connect to the show's web site during a show, you'll also have the option of joining the live show chat room as a guest as well.

The reason why you're more likely to get on the air as a TalkShoe account is that guests can sometimes show up to wreck shows. In our other podcast, the Black Rock Lost Podcast program, we had once had a guest log in and began speaking lewdly. I thought it was hilarious because the person was self-censoring his own swears.. but it was a lesson in defaulting to muting guests.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Maybe it got lost in my chatter.. but does anyone have a suggestion for a more convenient time to air the show?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
I think what will be hard to manage is all the time zones. 7 pm is good for me, but it would have to be 7 pm central. Of course, that''s still 5:00 for people on the west coast. Not to mention that there are a lot of Europeans that visit the forums and might want to call in... Maybe fluctuate the tim every week? One week a good time for Europeans, next week a good time for Americans, then Europeans, etc...

Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
I think what will be hard to manage is all the time zones. 7 pm is good for me, but it would have to be 7 pm central. Of course, that''s still 5:00 for people on the west coast. Not to mention that there are a lot of Europeans that visit the forums and might want to call in... Maybe fluctuate the tim every week? One week a good time for Europeans, next week a good time for Americans, then Europeans, etc...
True enough. Maybe one STABLE schedule on Thursdays at 7pm primarily for me to talk with SOME call-ins.. and then another floating schedule program that is primarily intended to catch call-ins? Talkshoe does allow me to set schedules (with a count-down timer too) on their web page.. so it MIGHT work. I'll have to think about it.

Or maybe I can just have a show scheduled at 4:00pm Eastern (thus, 1:00pm California time, 9:00pm UTC?) on a Saturday?

hmm?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Or maybe I can just have a show scheduled at 4:00pm Eastern (thus, 1:00pm California time, 9:00pm UTC?) on a Saturday?
Might catch live calls from geohashing xkcdians, including me if EDGE coverage suffices...

I think you're making a veiled point that cell phone calls are usually FREE on weekends. That might be a dealmaker right there, for choosing Saturday.

No, merely that xkcd meetups are at 1600 local on saturdays. Which is not necessarily a problem; as I said, calling in on the go is not bad (kinda cool, really), if I can coax my N800 into streaming your show over EDGE, and if the hashpoint isn't in a particularly remote place. Info on geohashing (if you're curious).

But the free minutes on weekends (for most plans) isn't a bad point, either; just not one I had caught.

I enjoyed your podcast. It inspired me to get my bluetooth headset working with my n800 so I could listen to podcasts with it. Convenient!

Thanks. Looking forward to future episodes.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Downloaded Your podcast and listen to it all through.very cool at least i got to learn about the open pandora projetc. Things i feel u should improve on include.
Startup sound - I think you should work on a good startup sound for the program something very cool also a sound to play out when the show ends.Also it would be nice if There is an Agenda for the show.you can divide it into segments .Tablet News,Feedback letter from listeners,Talks,Apps of the week .. get the point. Also a logo and an irc channel for the show would be nice.it would also be nice if u offered ogg download for those of us who prefer it.other than that great show and i would be looking forward to the next episode

cheers

Tags
podcast linux gadgets