Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks, bunanson and everyone else who helped set this out so clearly.

One little new thing that may help someone. I found that my usual WinSCP log-in wouldn't work, and it turned out that my tablet's IP address, which had ended with .100, had been switched (by my ISP, or by the order I started up online sessions on different computers?), to .102. All WinSCP had said was that it couldn't connect. I checked, found the IP address had changed, and just edited my login.
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. There's two possible ways you could fix that..

1) Have it so the router sets certain computers with certain IPs (not all routers support it..sadly)
2) Have your computers manually do IPs without the router's DHCP (requires manually setting up an IP either on your tablet. Or if you don't want to on your tablet, all the computers besides your tablet).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
static IP is a lot better. I memorized all the IP addresses of my family's computers, router, xbox, tablet, and printer, which makes life easier than DHCP.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
While we are at it: do yourself a favour set up vnc-over-ssh (putty, vncviewer, or tightvnc) with the help of no-ip.com you can use your home computer from work (or any wifi hotspot) and with knots 2 you can listen to your music from your home PC, or you can set up a web server too.

Good instructions for home linux PC here but for windows PC almost same idea applied.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
what can i say!! simply you are the best guys :-) still one last Q to help me choose the best way? so which way should i use the first one mentioned by bunanson the ''WinSCP'' way or the lcuk's suggested ''the Dokan ssh'' way? which one is most safe and easy too? help me descide coz i don't wana play around and flip from one 2 another :-)

thanx in advance for your great job guys :-)

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by xavi6 View Post
what can i say!! simply you are the best guys :-) still one last Q to help me choose the best way? so which way should i use the first one mentioned by bunanson the ''WinSCP'' way or the lcuk's suggested ''the Dokan ssh'' way? which one is most safe and easy too? help me descide coz i don't wana play around and flip from one 2 another :-)

thanx in advance for your great job guys :-)

I have been a long term user of winscp.
it has features that dokan does not (auto resume, editor selection, ability to open putty session to the machine etc)
it is stable and tested and works really nicely, it is my primary contact with the filesystem on my tablets.

I use it most of the time, but have dokan available for when i need direct access from specific windows apps.

for instance, i have a visual basic app which sets up and configures a development project and it needs to see all the files in the folder - dokan is essential for this and winscp cannot do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
I have been a long term user of winscp.
it has features that dokan does not (auto resume, editor selection, ability to open putty session to the machine etc)
it is stable and tested and works really nicely, it is my primary contact with the filesystem on my tablets.

I use it most of the time, but have dokan available for when i need direct access from specific windows apps.

for instance, i have a visual basic app which sets up and configures a development project and it needs to see all the files in the folder - dokan is essential for this and winscp cannot do it.
thanx dozen lcuk so what i understood Winscp is the prefered option but depending on my needs i may use dokan..aha! got that so i may go for Winscp 1st. and see where my needs take me after that
much preciated

The Following User Says Thank You to xavi6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Hey guys,

Is there any way to connect to the pc from the n900? Pretty much transfer files with the n900? For example, if I had my n900 and did not have my pc, but wanted something from my pc.

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by te37v View Post
Hey guys,

Is there any way to connect to the pc from the n900? Pretty much transfer files with the n900? For example, if I had my n900 and did not have my pc, but wanted something from my pc.
Theres lots of options out there:-
Rdesktop
Ftp
SSH
scp
LogmeIn

And various others that have been utilised. It all depends on how far into it you want to go.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
i apologize. i have ssh client installed on my n900. perhaps u could provide a link on how to do this? searching for ssh stuff has been a pain so far. took me so long to figure out how to ssh on my computer but now i can connect to the n900 from my pc via winscp

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ lagos, Nigeria
i remoce the post.

Last edited by kl2010; 2010-10-04 at 02:31. Reason: Wrong thread.

Tags
file transfer, ssh app, winscp