Active Topics

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
You mean cold boot in 5...6 seconds??
yes. it is not XP ;-) ... from flash memory (thereis no HD)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I got a EEE 901 XP for my wife yesterday. Absolutely fantastic device to "have around" in the home and probably great for mobile people, too - I got 6-7 hours of quite heavy usage (lots of deinstallation / installation, web surfing) out of it.

The size is right for her (not much typing, but low weight and small size desired), so the 9" screen and 82% keyboard is ok. Plus it has Bluetooth, which will come in handy to connect a phone (for remote Powerpoint control or 3G surfing).
And after suffering way too many corrupt harddisk during the years, I really wanted the SSDs. While they are quite small, they suffice for most of her work (Office documents in Word an Powerpoint). And To show DVDs, I'll encode the most important ones and put them on a 8 GB SDHC.
It will take only a year or so for SSD to come down in price, and then I can decide if the usage pattern and generated income deserves an upgrade of the 2nd SSD :-D

(Booting takes 30-40 seconds I'd guess.)

Last edited by twaelti; 2008-10-11 at 19:31.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Second link not working!
If ASUS complies with the touchscreen, I'll be the first one in line XD.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Second link doesn't work for me either, but I found it by searching for the key word "adorably".

And is the reason the second link doesn't work that this site censors the word *****y? Yes, obviously. "b i t c h y"

Last edited by geneven; 2008-10-11 at 19:48.

I really think that right now the eee 901 is the best one out there for me. Better keyboard than the 900 and has big enough screen where you don't have to scroll sideways to see a normal page like in 700. And so many features like bluetooth, 1.3mp camera, 1.6 atom, and my biggest plus A 6-CELL BATTERY. And all for $450!! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BYF2WK/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Right now i'm debating a purchase, but i might just use my impulse buying instincts.

Last edited by Scarflash; 2008-10-11 at 20:25.

I own both the asus 701 (w/ modded touchscreen) and the aspire one AA150 hard drive version. I've had my 701 for quite a while and very usefull after I added the touchscreen. Adding the touchscreen was cheap and pretty easy. I use it mostly when I'm somewhere I can't use an external mouse and it is really mobile. I have an extended battery that last about 6 hours. The aspire one is mainly my personal laptop. I bought the SSD version first but was not satisfied with the very slow SSD and decided to exchange for the hard drive version. I have it running the SSD version of Linpus Light, Ubuntu 8.04.1 netbook remix and win xp. Love this laptop. I just bought the 6 cell battery and getting over 5 hours of battery life. By the way, I'm typing this on the asus 701 right now

philwil

The Following User Says Thank You to philwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by philwil View Post
I own both the asus 701 (w/ modded touchscreen) and the aspire one AA150 hard drive version. I've had my 701 for quite a while and very usefull after I added the touchscreen. Adding the touchscreen was cheap and pretty easy. I use it mostly when I'm somewhere I can't use an external mouse and it is really mobile. I have an extended battery that last about 6 hours. The aspire one is mainly my personal laptop. I bought the SSD version first but was not satisfied with the very slow SSD and decided to exchange for the hard drive version. I have it running the SSD version of Linpus Light, Ubuntu 8.04.1 netbook remix and win xp. Love this laptop. I just bought the 6 cell battery and getting over 5 hours of battery life. By the way, I'm typing this on the asus 701 right now

philwil
how did you get the modded touchscreen?
i'm interested to install one on my wife's aspire one.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I don't think the eee or asus aspire or msi wind are really competitors to the N810, they're too big!

The Fujitsu U810 or U820 are more like an oversized zaurus, if a bit pricey (US$1500),

my favourite at the moment would be the Raon Everrun Note (US$925):
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=217

Actually, I also like the willcom d4, but it is even more pricey (US$995):
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=191

Last edited by speculatrix; 2008-10-11 at 21:09.

I installed on the asus 701, not the AA1. Much easier on the asus. but some people have installed on the AA1, but much more difficult getting inside the case. check out this forum, http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...it=touchscreen

The Following User Says Thank You to philwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have the 1000H and i must say the keyboard is perfect The screen is 10" (with the same resolution). Everything else is the same as 901 (excluding the hard drive which i don't mind).