Anyone working on porting this to the N810? Maybe we want to get a working group together?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'd love this for my N810... and my 770.

But I don't know halfway enough... I can spell Android. That count?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I might be optimistic here (yes, i am one of those who thinks everything is possible for you guys )

Can android be run without chroot, like boot to it? I dont know much about android...

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I might be optimistic here (yes, i am one of those who thinks everything is possible for you guys )

Can android be run without chroot, like boot to it? I dont know much about android...
Yes it can.

Since the source code is out now, this is how I understand it.

First, we need to port over the Android specific kernel patches to the N810 kernel. I don't think there is an automated way to do this, just a manual process.

Then we have to port over the system utils, bootloader, etc. And flash it onto the N810.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Don't forget the android-runtime ~ That's a fairly important component that allows android to run on/use the hardware it's running on without a host os such as maemo.

UPDATE: There could be problems porting certain components such as OpenGL | ES, since we don't have acsess to 3d drivers
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-10-27 at 01:01.

I am dieing for this to happen I would love to do it to my N800 and maybe my 770

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Instead of porting ALL of android, maybe a WINE like thing that would allow it to run on top of Maemo? That would bee cool

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
You could try porting the sdk, but that might be unrealistic, since it was created to run on only x86 arcitectures.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Don't forget the android-runtime ~ That's a fairly important component that allows android to run on/use the hardware it's running on without a host os such as maemo.

UPDATE: There could be problems porting certain components such as OpenGL | ES, since we don't have acsess to 3d drivers
Are you saying that we don't have access to the 3d drivers cause they are closed sourced by Nokia, or that the video card in the n810 doesn't support OpenGL?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
There is one thing, that i always do.
I am trying out things even if i know that they will not work , yesterday, i tried to start android 0.9

I made image file, exrated android 0.9 rootfs into it, installed the old android .deb . and tried to run, and guess what? It DID N0T work. Surprise! At least i had fun. init says "Segmentation Fault"

Tags
android