Notices

Originally Posted by davidsco27 View Post
since updating tonight, now when I open the app. it immediately crashes and closes. n810 Diablo. It previously worked fine. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this version and even the 2 previous versions, same problem. Now what?
If you're willing to sacrifice your Maemo Mapper settings (your maps will still remain on disk), then run the following command from the command line:
Code:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/maemo/maemo-mapper
Then start Maemo Mapper.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Off to test festival, thanks gnuite....
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Tempe, AZ
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Thanks for explaining the 2.5.1 vs 2.5.2 issue, it makes sense now.

Yes, all other GPS apps work fine and as expected on the N810.

Here is another person having the same problem on a 770:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...2&postcount=40
He had to revert to 2.4.1 to fix the problem. I haven't tried that yet.

EDIT: Tried 2.4.1 for OS2008 and still have the same problem.
I had this same problem and hoped it was fixed with 2.5.2. Googled about a bit and found an old post by Gnuite explaining that the internal GPS is accessed via the BT interface (with a blank MAC ADDR). Tried that and now it works fine. Maybe the MM default is /dev/pgps after a fresh install? In my case it's more likely just a case of "I forgot" and /dev/pgps looks like the logical choice for the internal GPS.

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
If you're willing to sacrifice your Maemo Mapper settings (your maps will still remain on disk), then run the following command from the command line:
Code:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/maemo/maemo-mapper
Then start Maemo Mapper.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Thanks, I ended up reflashing the tablet instead. couldn't wait, and I figured that would clean it out anyway. It works now

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Carman allows you to set the position and download the OpenStreetMap data of the surrounding area. That way, you have the maps you need and don't need an active internet connection. Does this option exist for Maemo Mapper as well?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Check out here if you want spanish text to speech with maemo-mapper

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25147

Full instructions here

http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=232
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hkwilliamson View Post
I had this same problem and hoped it was fixed with 2.5.2. Googled about a bit and found an old post by Gnuite explaining that the internal GPS is accessed via the BT interface (with a blank MAC ADDR). Tried that and now it works fine. Maybe the MM default is /dev/pgps after a fresh install? In my case it's more likely just a case of "I forgot" and /dev/pgps looks like the logical choice for the internal GPS.
On my N810, it does point to /dev/pgps Is it suppose to point to something else?

@st5150 and gnuite,

i have the exact same problem as st5150. As a workaround, i found 2 methods that worked for me:

1. you can start the gps with wayfinder maps and then start maemomapper. Both apps can be opened at the same time, the gps is "shared".

2. you can also try to deactivate your gps in the Maemo-Setting-Menu (the one with the wrench, not sure about english name it's called "Einstellungen" on my german device) , confirm with O.K. and then reactivate and confirm again with O.K. There seems to be a problem with the GPS-Status / Handler after reboot and switching seems to fix the problem.

Gnuite, you can try to reproduce this behaviour when you reboot your device (perharps power off/on is needed, not sure) and then start maemomapper and enable gps in maemomapper.

Hope this helps.

One more thing: i am using the "offline-mode" quite often. Not sure if this affects the gps or only the wifi...

Cheers MiBi

Last edited by MiBi; 2008-11-25 at 10:05.

Thanks, gnuite!! FLITE is back and working! The only thing I noticed is that it takes about 5-10 seconds after downloading a route before I hear a voice telling me where to go; after that, it's pretty quick.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
About localization: at least the Finnish localization still does not work (the UI is shown in English). I have the same problem with my application (fuelpad), which is due to the autobuilder somehow acting differently compared to my scratchbox installation. There are other applications also suffering from the same (at least leafpad) but also many autobuilder built ones which have a working localization (at least omweather, maemopadplus and aisleriot from gnome-games). I have tried to compare my packaging to the working ones, but haven't figured the reason out. I also raised this issue in maemo-developers mailing list, but didn't got a braking answer.

Julius