Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there is a program called openrpg thats python based. maybe one can rip the dice stuff from it?

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
This sounds like an excellent "first app" for someone to write! If it was me, it would have to be written in Python, and I would use 'PyGame' to write it with i.e. graphics, sound, etc..

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Python was what I was thinking of, but I will have to look into "Pygame"

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
verumgero:

Yes, when I was first 'getting my feet wet' in programming for Maemo, I wanted to do something 'easy' and 'visual' with Python, and when I found out that Maemo supported 'PyGame', I wrote my first app ('Tricorder') with that library.

Last edited by darethehair; 2008-11-28 at 17:43. Reason: Grammar fix!

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
A dice roller would be great for the tablet! A few friends and I are about to start with rpg and don't want to buy all that different and (relatively) expensive dice. That first link you posted will be very useful, but a small app would be nicer. Maybe with a dice comparator? one rolls 4d20 and 5d20 and it puts them in order and compares the highest 4? or is that too much to ask :P.

pd: even if it only puts the dice in order would be very useful

Last edited by Valeria; 2008-11-30 at 23:42.

I'd love to write a dice rolling program, but I use a slightly different game mechanic (L5R if you know of it), and I have no clue how to get the dice to roll another and add to the result if any d10 rolls a 10.

For anyone seeking a non-programming solution, remember it's an internet tablet, so if you can find a dice roller (javascript or flash) on the internet, you can likely save it and use it offline as well. First suitable looking thing I found was http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm (which handles general xdy+z type rolls).

Saving that (with images) and using it in the browser seems to work fine, although it could use some tweaking to utilize the tablet's entire screen, and I'd tend to eliminate the graphics entirely.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
I've written a few python lines:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=10

(Maybe these threads should be merged)

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So I was minding my own business and I found this. Which happens to be the holy grail of my dice simulator quest. I have been using a flash version that I snagged off the internet but it just isn't the same as having a standalone program.

In any event, thanks Tim Teulings for making a very cool program.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
that person seems to create alll kinds of nifty small programs. i just wish there was a way to quickly clone dice...