Well, you might consider buying a used N810 - you get keyboard and GPS and all the goodies (I am sure you know all of them). In fact right at this moment I have one available - my own used N810 :-)

All this talk of the RX-51 makes me think of selling off my N810 (or how else do I justify a new device to my wifey ?)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
All this talk of the RX-51 makes me think of selling off my N810 (or how else do I justify a new device to my wifey ?)
By giving her the N810? Or more realistically, by buying her the RX-51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jimb View Post
the audio output of the n800 isn't very nice at all. i get lots of digital noise when i plug a decent set of headphones in.
I'm not sure what "digital noise" is. I don't hear anything like this, but I don't use very expensive headphones. Is there an educational link you can point me to that would explain what the problem is here?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm not sure what "digital noise" is. I don't hear anything like this, but I don't use very expensive headphones. Is there an educational link you can point me to that would explain what the problem is here?

Sorry, I don't have any links. I just know that when I plug my Sony MDR-V6 headphones in (63 Ohm impedance), the buzzing is intelorable, not to mention the loud click that occurs when a track is starting or finishing. It sounds ok with cheaper 16 Ohm headphones, but the clicking is still there, and it doesn't sound as nice and detailed as the iPod's audio output (to my ears anyway).

Does anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
By giving her the N810? Or more realistically, by buying her the RX-51.
Good thinking General !
She does already have a N800 - but a trade-up is worth it for a RX-51.

I do thing your "more realistic" idea will actually work, but I would rather do it the other way around (selfish bastard that I am)

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Good thinking General !
She does already have a N800 - but a trade-up is worth it for a RX-51.

I do thing your "more realistic" idea will actually work, but I would rather do it the other way around (selfish bastard that I am)
Don't do it, dude. Swap with her right now. You didn't mentioned she already had an n800. Did you? Make sure to do all the little spead-ups for her new n810 to keep her happy. And then repeat after me, "The RX-51 is mine!."

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Does anyone else notice this?
Through Sony MDR-7506 headphones, yes. Like the MDR-V6s, they're unusually revealing headphones though, and I didn't buy my Internet tablets expecting them to provide pristine audio. The headphone out is good enough for use with less expensive headphones while I work in the yard or whatnot, so I'm happy.

Sorry, I don't have any links. I just know that when I plug my Sony MDR-V6 headphones in (63 Ohm impedance), the buzzing is intelorable, not to mention the loud click that occurs when a track is starting or finishing. It sounds ok with cheaper 16 Ohm headphones, but the clicking is still there, and it doesn't sound as nice and detailed as the iPod's audio output (to my ears anyway).
Then find some expensive phones that are 16 or 32 Ohms? I'm using some cheap phones from woot with my N800; going from memory, I think they're ARE05s: 32 Ohm impedance and 16mm drivers. Even at full volume, I can barely hear any noise when the output is active, but playing silence.

As for the click, I do hear a slight click (not really annoying, but definitely noticeable, at full volume) when the output is enabled or disabled, but not between tracks. (The output only seems to be disabled after about 2 seconds, so even if your media player opens and closes it between each track, it wouldn't trigger this click.) I think what you're hearing may be either lack of complete gapless playback, if your tracks are back-to-back (there's a number of partial implementations, as well as completely naive non-gapless approaches.), or just a plain bug (if it happens even on tracks with complete silence at both ends).

the perfect device would have to run android. I'm considering an Archos 5 but it's a bit expensive for me at the moment. There are signs of iPod touch Linux so I might get that and just wait until it happens.

according to http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ovit_mini.html the mini movit is supposed to sell for 150 dollars! That is insane, if that is true im getting one.