Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by azorni View Post
logarithm doesn't work. Seems equal to exponential func.
Oops, thanks for pointing it out. I've got it fixed locally.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Paris, France
I like the concept, but wouldn't it be more ergonomic with a vertical layout ?

It took me a little time to get used to the pie menu concept. I like some things about ejpi, but my biggest dislikes is that it sometimes takes longer than I would like to just press the buttons due to the tap-and-hold model. Particularly needing to tap and hold for - + * / functionality.

My controversial suggestion: keep the pie menu, but move from tap-and-hold to just tap. That means that, for example, the 5 button can't be dual-function (tap for 5, tap-and-hold for - + * /) -- you would have to move - + * / to its own button. There might be other buttons you'd need to re-arrange. However, I think the end result would be that you could make more use of the pie menus & save some screen space. I also think eliminating tap-and-hold would make the program more intuitive, but I realize that can be subjective.

Thanks for your cool and useful program!

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
It took me a little time to get used to the pie menu concept. I like some things about ejpi, but my biggest dislikes is that it sometimes takes longer than I would like to just press the buttons due to the tap-and-hold model. Particularly needing to tap and hold for - + * / functionality.

My controversial suggestion: keep the pie menu, but move from tap-and-hold to just tap. That means that, for example, the 5 button can't be dual-function (tap for 5, tap-and-hold for - + * /) -- you would have to move - + * / to its own button. There might be other buttons you'd need to re-arrange. However, I think the end result would be that you could make more use of the pie menus & save some screen space. I also think eliminating tap-and-hold would make the program more intuitive, but I realize that can be subjective.

Thanks for your cool and useful program!
In theory the hold is just for the menu to popup and you can just tap or drag to get all the functionality.

Unfortunately on Maemo this hasn't worked out so well as (its kind of flakey) compared to the desktop and has been a great annoyance to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I just don't like the one second delay to wait for the pop-up to happen. Call me spoiled.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Yeah, I just don't like the one second delay to wait for the pop-up to happen. Call me spoiled.
Neither do I. I wrote it on the desktop and got it running smooth and when I deployed it, I was very disappointed.

ejpi might be what I use to learn QT and I hope to have a better experience with these types of things.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
I just uploaded 1.0.0-1 to extras-devel and will soon promote it to extras-testing.

1.0.0-1 is my Qt port I've been working on in preparation for Meego (see my blog for past and future posts on this port).

Benefits of the Qt port include
  • Improved pie menu performance
  • Native theme color support for pie menus
  • Preparation for rotation support (It should all be there, just a matter of the Qt bindings)

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Hi epage,

took me some time to figure out how this program works :-)
It isn't obviously how to delete entries from the history list.
And some Pie-Menu entries aren't fully visible.

regards
nicolai
Attached Images

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Hi epage,

took me some time to figure out how this program works :-)
It isn't obviously how to delete entries from the history list.
And some Pie-Menu entries aren't fully visible.

regards
nicolai
I agree about discoverability. The GTK version would show some a summary of the pie menu on the button rather than just the button. When I rewrote in Qt I was concerned about the balance of text size, clutter, and discoverability. I still need to play with this a bit to get it right.

There are two issues I've had with the pies and am unsure why they are happening. The first is sometimes the pie is pushed back on to the screen when it would render partially off screen (so its not centered with where you pressed). The second which is what you saw, the pies being truncated. Neither are an issue on the desktop and am not quite sure what the Maemo version of Qt is doing to cause these.