Notices

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Can I vote Against ....

"GitRDone"

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
+1 for Lista, or something similar
I have no better ideas at the moment.

Oh wait, yes I do - Listomaticatroninator!
...or maybe not XD

please please please, make zutun or whatever work nice and sooth with RTM! Im a HEAVY RTM user and whould love to use it with my n800!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
How about "BeenThere" as the name, as in "Been There, Done That."
Or NITPick.
Or NITCheck.
Or DoneNIT.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
GeraldKo (mostly) won with DoneIt.

Drat, that means I need to stop cheating and move my credentials out of the source code since I'm making it public...

Also sorry that I'm taking a while with this. I'm a bit distracted in my attempt to resurrect a dead maemo project. Since DoneIt is closer to being usable, I'll put the priority back on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Well, the garage project has been created and I've checked the initial code in (sans my credentials)
https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=936

I've got a security dilemma and would love to get the feedback of developers and users. How do you feel about storing username/password credentials in plaintext? Is there a better way to store this?

I've already been worrying over this with DialCentral. I've held off so far since it takes advantage of cookies (which expire with time though). Remember the Milk might also be fairly safe since it gives me a token. A stolen token has more limited ramifications, only works for the site, can't change password, and can be revoked.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by epage View Post
I've got a security dilemma and would love to get the feedback of developers and users. How do you feel about storing username/password credentials in plaintext? Is there a better way to store this?

I've already been worrying over this with DialCentral. I've held off so far since it takes advantage of cookies (which expire with time though). Remember the Milk might also be fairly safe since it gives me a token. A stolen token has more limited ramifications, only works for the site, can't change password, and can be revoked.
I'm generally against it, but most of the stock Nokia apps do that anyway, and your e-mail/IM passwords are more valuable than RTM. I think you should at least provide a warning somewhere telling people not to use an important password. As we know, all bets are off when someone has physical access to your machine anyway, so I would just go with a warning, and at least obfuscate the password, so that someone just stumbling across it by accident won't see it right away. Maemo's security once you have the tablet in your hands is trivial anyway, but storing non-obfuscated passwords in GConf just seems silly. (I've had to force myself to remember not to look at certain GConf entries before, when friends gave me credentials, but didn't want me knowing them.)

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
epage: Thanks for doing this. Since I've been quite slow on the improvements for Zutun, and since Zutun is a entry-only app, this is a cool thing for RTM users.

As for the plaintext storage, it's undesireable, but as jaem said, there are more important passwords than RTM stored in plaintext. I'd vote for plaintext storage and for devoting time elsewhere.

I will continue work on Zutun, since I'm a heavy Toodledo user. I've had good feedback from RTM users on Zutun, so you are doing a great service here!

I'd _love_ a good offline / online synced ToDo app, with a good UI. I think this is a great project idea!
Cheers,
Jon

Ok, I've gone ahead and implemented the credentials such that nothing is stored in plain text and the names for the fields do not include "username" or "password" so that greps or accidental viewings (without knowing the program) will not reveal anything. So programming against Murphy rather than Machiavelli.

@frethop If you would be interested in a full todo manager for Toodledo, in theory it shouldn't be too hard to add it to DoneIt. I've applied my lessons learned from DialCentral when adding support for both GrandCentral and GoogleVoice accounts. The main issue would just be the best way to share code that works with both todo manager backends.

If people don't mind getting their hands dirty by grabbing the code out of git and giving feedback on UI ideas for how to implement all of the features of RTM (besides just a text entry widget inside the Edit Dialog), that'd be great
https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=936
Things currently unsure of
* Tags
* postponement
* Recurrence
* Time estimate
770, n810, n900, Ideapad S10-3t
TheOneRing, DialCentral, Gonvert, Quicknote, Multilist, ejpi, nQa, Waters of Shiloah
Programming Blog