IMHO the N800 looks pretty good if you regard it as a mini-television (which it is in a way). My Philips TV looks a lot like the N800...

As a communications device the N800 does look a bit odd though. The N810 is much more like a phone or PDA.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Daperl, Benny, you are just bad guys, you know ? Or maybe jalous ?

I finally won about Pan&Scan. He just like large size ...... videos (and now we have an extra large picture with a projector, so, size doesn't matter anymore for him).

He anyway has the right to find any device ugly or not, and just used it to push me to buy the N810 because he knows how much weak I'm about this kind of toys ...

I'm happy to see that i'm not the only one that like the N800 look ! I too find it more interesting than its successor appearence.

Last edited by totololo; 2009-05-15 at 23:00.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Daperl, Benny, you are just bad guys, you know ?
Moi? Never!

Or maybe jalous ?
Show me a picture of him (or is monthly paycheck, whatever looks better) and I'll tell you if I'm jealous.

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-05-15 at 13:37.

Daperl, Benny, you are just bad guys, you know ?
Probably.

Or maybe jalous ?
Most likely. But I'll let benny speak for himself.

He just like large size ...
Nothin' wrong with that.

He anyway has the right to find any device ugly or not
Sure he does, but just don't let him touch it.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
As a designer I pretty much like n800. It's not that minimalistic stuff that Apple told you is cool, it's a real work of designers, they gave n800 an outstanding look and this dotted grill is absolutely adorable. BTW if you'll find leaked pics of new Nokia 5900, you'll see something similar

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
I understand - all you N800 lovers are the retro loving guys. While I do like retro styling and I actually do like the N800, but somehow I fall for sleek and slender looks.My partner in life always keeps an eye out when there are long legged beauties and slender bodies around - I meant the slender bodies of N810's and kick stand leggies of N85 etc.

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
As a designer I pretty much like n800. It's not that minimalistic stuff that Apple told you is cool, it's a real work of designers, they gave n800 an outstanding look and this dotted grill is absolutely adorable. BTW if you'll find leaked pics of new Nokia 5900, you'll see something similar
The speaker grilles look good (as long as you're okay with the extra width). For me the N800's problem is the appearance of the rest of the device, it looks a bit plastic-y on the back IMHO. If they'd put steel etc on the back too, it would have looked much better (though of course that would drive up manufacturing costs quite a lot).

Nokia's best recent design IMHO is the E71, it looks amazing in real life, very shiny, ceramic and sleek. I bet a lot of people bought it based on what it looked like in the shop. Nokia have taken a very nerdy form factor and made it look very sexy:

http://www.mobilecowboys.com/phones/...a-E71-2305.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Q9YZD_HHI

If they used this design style for a Maemo device, I think it would do very well.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-15 at 14:37.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The N800 doesn't look cheap. It looks like a classy, high-end transistor radio, circa 1963.
I actually own two of the beauties. And my partner-in-life is jealous of them.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Whahahaha !
Qole, maybe your partner-in-life is more sensible to design than mine !
But he/she should probably find another boyfriend ... because you don't share one of your two N800 ...

(Maybe i didn't uderstand well, is she jealous because you have 2 n800 and she doesn't have one or is she jealous because you cherish them more than her ?) In both case, you are the bad guy ...

Last edited by totololo; 2009-05-15 at 23:11.

I have both the N800 and N810 and the N810 is pretty but the N800 is the one I always use traveling. The N800 standard SD memory card slot lets me plug in my camera card, re-size a photo and send it off in an email. The FM radio is a useful addition.

The N810 is less handy. The speakers point out the side to disturb your neighbors on a plane or in a cafe. I've never got a lock with the internal GPS but my Holux bluetooth GPS grabs 6-8 satellites in the same location. The keyboard is difficult to use being offset by the navigation pad.

The N810 is form but the N800 is function.