Poll: Which device would you prefer?
Poll Options
Which device would you prefer?

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If so, coupled with an 800x480 display, we're gonna be in for a real treat. Apple's response will be interesting. I think I'll go make some popcorn and pull up a chair.
Thanks, daperl.
Corrected the resolution:
10. Resolution ------------ 800x480 --------480x320 -----------480x320 ------------- 640x360
Feature ------------------ N900 ------------ iPhone v3 ------- Palm Pre ------------- N97

Do you prefer a bigger resolution (in this case the writing will be visible small), or do you prefer the iPhone and Palm Pre resolution of 480x320?

Last edited by Architengi; 2009-06-05 at 20:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
N900 has a similar open-ended OS to the Palm Pre, which is good for development - however the Pre wins here because knowing HTML/CSS/JS is much lower a barrier to developer entry than the many supported schemes within Maemo 5 (WRT, Flash, Qt, C++, etc.);
If Maemo supports WebRunTime (WRT), Flash, Java, Qt, C++, Python, I think it is an advantage than just supporting on SDK based on Web like Palm WebOS.
Basically N900 WRT is based on JS/HTML/CSS, isn't it? So I think N900 has more development frameworks for different developers. Not all the developers know all the languages, so they can choose one language that fits them best, isn't it?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
"Full Java" on N900 seems to be somewhat pulled out of the air. Jalimo isn't there yet, and "full Java" nowadays is including things like JavaFX.

I'd love Java to be a tier-1 language on Maemo, but - unless I missed something - Maemo 5/N900 aren't going to change this.

(Said from a SunRay 270 "hacker station" on the last day of JavaOne in San Francisco ;-))

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-06-05 at 20:13. Reason: Bad BBCode

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
iPhone v3 isn't out yet. I think there is some Apple conference coming which releases more information about it.

Nokia N900 isn't out either. Only speculation. Some speculation is about resolution which conflicts with what you assert.

iPhone also has QuickOffice. I told you before: you cannot compare software which is not optimized for UI such as OO.o or KOffice with a product like QuickOffice.

Instead of that (IMO ridiculous) compare its better to state 'fully compatible UNIX environment'. Maemo is as close as it gets for that of all smartphones, while for example iPhoneOS can get pretty near, especially after jailbreak.

N97, or at least S60, also has a lot of free applications. I think how you differentiate is if it has an App Store where you can easily download (gratis or for fee) software. iPhone has very active community for jailbreaking, much more applications easily available that Maemo. For Symbian (and Windows Mobile) there is a similar huge amount available, but this is more difficult accessible because lack of mature App Store. Maemo is a bit different; it already has APT, but the repositories are relatively empty compared to other platforms (don't know about WebOS though, and Ovi's status is at the very least 'new product' for now).

For browsers... MobileSafari has multi touch, accelerometer support, and after jailbreak can be extended with e.g. Flash or AdBlock. It is unclear what browser or rendering engine a N900 would have, or what features. But Fennec and MicroB have extensions out of the box.

iPhone has remote shell and remote desktop clients (yes, even without jailbreak) and after jailbreak even more.

Application signing you mean DRM. You can disable that in Symbian, or use self-signing. You can enable it in APT too, its generally recommended. Or maybe specify about jailbreaking.

Palm Pre has multi-touch.

G1 doesn't. I think you should add a state of the art (upcoming) Android device to the compare.

There is no Windows Mobile state of the art (upcoming) device mentioned although I personally don't give a rat about anything running Windows Mobile.

Video conferencing (webcam) on Maemo would need work because it works in Farsight but not Pidgin so it depends on the client used.

Some features you missed, like Calendar/PIM, Sync support (iCalendar, Exchange, iTunes, Browser (LDAP, Mozilla Weave)), VPN (IPsec, OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP).

You didn't mention GPS or navigation software. Symbian has tons of those.

Question is IMO how good BlueTooth support will be on iPhoneOS 3.

Hmm and widgets/applets are something touted by Palm and Nokia. It should be platform independent, and is something iPhoneOS seriously lacks as is the ability to (aesthetically/informatively) customize the home screen etc.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-06-05 at 20:16.

Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
Do you prefer a bigger resolution (in this case the writing will be visible small), or do you prefer the iPhone and Palm Pre resolution of 480x320?
I have an n800, an n810 and an iPod touch. The iPod touch screen is 3.5". Put the 800x480 3.5" n900 screen in an iPod touch form factor and we would be moving in the right direction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
If Maemo supports WebRunTime (WRT), Flash, Java, Qt, C++, Python, I think it is an advantage than just supporting on SDK based on Web like Palm WebOS.
Basically N900 WRT is based on JS/HTML/CSS, isn't it? So I think N900 has more development frameworks for different developers. Not all the developers know all the languages, so they can choose one language that fits them best, isn't it?
While that sounds good in theory, having one language to devolpe for focuses developers on solving problems, not spouting acronyms. It also makes suppirt a lot easier; and forces the hand of innovation to those developers who don't like being told that developing an app in another language is impossible.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
5. many free apps --------- Y --------------- Y -------------------- N ------------------------ Y(why no ? there is plenty of them)
6. good internet brs ----- FireFox ----- Safari -------------- WebOS brs --------- Nokia brs, Opera, UCWeb, Skyfire(?), Bolt
Well just want to make some edit, there is plenty of free apps for symbian. Or does free apps mean open-source nowadays ?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
"Full Java" on N900 seems to be somewhat pulled out of the air. Jalimo isn't there yet, and "full Java" nowadays is including things like JavaFX.

I'd love Java to be a tier-1 language on Maemo, but - unless I missed something - Maemo 5/N900 aren't going to change this.

(Said from a SunRay 270 "hacker station" on the last day of JavaOne in San Francisco ;-))
You've missed something. In fact few people noticed the thread
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/embedded.jsp

This headless one works like a charm on my N800, of course takes 100% CPU most of the time, but works nevertheless and is full Probably JavaFX doesn't work but runs web start apps.
EABI, glibc 2.5, Hard Float (VFP), Little Endian

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Just some corrections for the front article.

22. Dev Kits ---- C QT Java WebKit Flash -- C Native ------- WebKit ------- C QT Java WebKit Flash
OS X uses Objective C which is far from C, more like better C++
26. VoIP/Skype ---------------- Y ---------------- N ------------------ N? -------------------- Y
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/iphone/

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
n900 is too n900 to be a phone already.