Active Topics

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I have decided to remove the screen rotation feature. What is the right way to do this? I hope I do not need to flash my tablet. Thanks.
go to apps manager and remove screen rotation and screen rotation plugin

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I'm back again. I've resolved to stop talking smack to *certain people* on here, but gokuman is grandfathered in.

@Gokuman

Jeez, where to start. You found something that has already been established in other threads AND even the wiki, and started a thread about it, almost as if to claim credit for it.

All anyone needs to do is search "screen rotation" on either the built in search or in the Gaegle (what I named ITt's custom google search).

Now *even newer* users are turning to you for advice.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.
hello, i'm trying to help them and i am a newbie trying to help a newbie

Last edited by gokuman56; 2009-06-28 at 02:14.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
hello, i'm trying to help them and i am a total newbie at this, i don't know anything about maemo...

This ^ needs to be emphasized and should be read first by anyone thinking about following the instructions in the first post of this thread.

EDIT: Through the use of editing the reasons that prompted this/my post are now not as apparent. The sentiment however, remains...

Starting a new thread to repost information that can already be found in this forum not only creates pollution, it dilutes the effectiveness of future searches and may misdirect viewers to threads that may not be factually correct. These new threads do not provide support because they may not be monitored by the people who posted the original information and have actual knowledge of the subject.

I do not think we should encourage new threads in the "general" forum that basically say "Hey, I successfully installed something on my device following instructions I found on this forum.", unless we expect everyone else to do so.

BTW, Good News! I just got a great deal on my car insurance.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-28 at 13:15. Reason: Explained in the body of the post

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Man the fire hoses!

Okay guys, enough. JayOnThaBeat, I can totally understand where you're coming from and this thread does look like what you said it does, but he's offering help to new people that don't know about it and usually don't search for that information. You know how new people to forums can be.

@gokuman56, me and others appreciate that fact that you've reposted this info, but it'd be nice if you told everyone where you got this info. Simply saying it as if you came up with it originally is really not good. Besides, if you're new, your "advanced" knowledge will get people to start asking for your advice on many other topics you may not know about and I'm sure you don't want that. Perhaps link to the source info that you found and credit the individual. That would be nice.

EDIT: gokuman56, way to go. Glad you edited your initial post!

Jesse~

Last edited by jperez2009; 2009-06-28 at 01:03.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Holy cow!!!

All I have to say is that I greatly appreciated Gokuman's thread. In my opinion, anyone that gives him a hard time is way out of line. I searched and found a bunch of related posts, but Gokuman's was clear and to the point and it allowed me to get started while the other threads left me unsure if I had the latest or complete info. It does not matter if Gokuman learned the info somewhere else. He summarized it and organized it in a helpful way.

Gokuman, thank you very much!

I'd like to suggest that the philosophy of the Ubuntu forums is proving itself to be worthy of emulating.

EDIT: adding the credit/link to the first post is indeed helpful because the link offers a bunch of detail that I had not found in my prior searches.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-06-28 at 01:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
In all the back-and-forth, my last question apparently got lost. When using these install instructions, the kernel is updated. I think this is what changes the way the power button works. I want to restore the default behavior of the power button and everything else, and I would hope that I do not have to lose all my customizations in the process. What's the best approach to removing the screen rotate and restoring the original kernel? (If I should start a new thread, please let me know.)

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
In all the back-and-forth, my last question apparently got lost. When using these install instructions, the kernel is updated. I think this is what changes the way the power button works. I want to restore the default behavior of the power button and everything else, and I would hope that I do not have to lose all my customizations in the process. What's the best approach to removing the screen rotate and restoring the original kernel? (If I should start a new thread, please let me know.)
if you still want screen rotate but want to make the power button the way it was than go to slide rotate settings in the applications menu and it will probably be in settings and go there and uncheck use the power button to rotate. if you want to remove the whole thing than you should uncheck everything in the screen rotate settings and uninstall slide rotate from the apps manager and the plugin

hi.. i dont know why people dont appreaciate this post by gokuman56.. I used the search feature and i couldnt find an easier way for screen rotation than this. all the other methods are different and have to be done by opening xterm or something and entering in commands.. and since im a noob this was the best option.

I want to thank gokuman56 again for taking his time in writing this tutorial and keep helping ppl...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
/me thanks gokuman56 too for citing the chinook install too.

i clicked on the link but it just displays the command lines of the .install.
i can install regular one-click stuff fine.
is my browser settings wrong?