Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
That totally sucks.
Hardly. It's just one of the realities of miniaturization and cost reduction. Sure, you could have a device that would let you swap components, but it would cost at least 50% more and be at least 50% bigger (likely more).

What do you gain for trading upgradeability? Smaller, more inexpensive devices.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I've had similar thoughts with my NAS but anything with an ARM architecture (and keep in mind pretty much all ARM processors are different so no compatibility) everything has to be compiled against that particular processor.
Hardly. armv5 binaries works just fine on armv7 CPUs. Backwards compatibility is strong, problems crop up when you try to use features on newer instruction sets (like the NEON SIMD available in armv7) on older hardware which does not provide the required features.

It's no different than x86, really.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-06-30 at 00:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Hardly. armv5 binaries works just fine on armv7 CPUs. Backwards compatibility is strong, problems crop up when you try to use features on newer instruction sets (like the NEON SIMD available in armv7) on older hardware which does not provide the required features.

It's no difference than x86, really.
I think it's more software related - you do do have a little more platform diversity which can give a little headache not usually present on most x86 - like endianness, uclibc, thumb related stuff, so it's not always that easy, but the general principle IS the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would love to see some hardware hackers build an open Internet Tablet device that could run Maemo or Mer... I would buy one, especially if it is the N800 form factor with faster hardware inside.

But having seen the problems that the Pandora guys have been encountering, I think it's a safe bet that nobody's going to do it.

I think you have to be a Big Company to be able to pull off something like that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would love to see some hardware hackers build an open Internet Tablet device that could run Maemo or Mer... I would buy one, especially if it is the N800 form factor with faster hardware inside.

But having seen the problems that the Pandora guys have been encountering, I think it's a safe bet that nobody's going to do it.
Especially once (if?) Pandora does come through; at that point, there's already one open Maemo-capable machine, which will nearly saturate the market, but the hurdles for anyone else to launch a new one would be the same.

OTOH, the Pandora guys might be in a position to release the same thing in a different form-factor; IMHO it could be based on the same circuit-board, screen, etc., just a different case mainly (and less components). Unfortunately, as a gaming-centric operation, they're not likely to pursue that option...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...at that point, there's already one open Maemo-capable machine, which will nearly saturate the market... the Pandora guys might be in a position to release the same thing in a different form-factor... as a gaming-centric operation, they're not likely to pursue that option...
I don't think they'll bother with other form factors for the simple reason that those of us who desire a tablet are probably going to say, "good enough," with either the Pandora or the N900. Sure, we'd want a tablet, but not that much. If told that you can buy a clamshell (Pandora) or slider smartphone (alleged N900) now, or wait another 9 months or more for a tablet, what would you do?

Yeah, me too.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
And If you have the equipment to replace BGA soldered chips I know a few thousand Palm T|X owners that may want to have a word with you

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If told that you can buy a clamshell (Pandora) or slider smartphone (alleged N900) now, or wait another 9 months or more for a tablet, what would you do?

Yeah, me too.
I'd wait and keep using my N800. I'm not a gamer and Pandora is way too big for what I want. And I don't want no phone. You too, qole? I have to admit I'm surprised!

GeraldKo:

Well, I was talking about those of us who want a tablet but want something faster. (That's what the thread is about.) But you know that, you're just teasing.

I agree with your assessments of the two form factors, especially since I'm not a big gamer, I don't own a mobile phone and data plans in Canada involve mortgaging your home and/or children.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Personally, I prefer the clamshell form factor. The biggest reason being that it lets you have a spread out area for all the circuits AND have a larger keyboard, fewer moving parts.. and most important of all: SCREEN PROTECTION.

Tags
faster, n810, processor