Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Thank you hornartist!

I just got my invite yesterday and was like, WTF, what now?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
If you're not going to use your invite, you could sell it on eBay. I watched two auctions close between $20 and $30 USD last week. I wish I had a few extra invites to sell.

So now that I've got this all working, has anyone integrated this nicely with their contacts? I have a vast collection of vCards, including photos and all, and I'd like to use it. I can use the contacts program to place an internet call, but that dials out directly from gizmo, not google voice. And incoming calls via google voice appear as 'sip:1235551212@...', so the internet call program doesn't make the connection and tell me who is calling.

For outgoing calls, it seems like dialcentral only supports CSV files or google contacts. It would be nice if dialcentral could at least integrate with contactinfos. Better still if I could just place the call, via GV, directly from contacts.

Google, likewise, is seriously lacking in this area and will only import from CSV. It's stunning to me that a company that can do so much and is so interested in business customers, yet they won't implement something as simple as vCards.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by TheRealBubba View Post
I got an invite, but can't use it. Seems there is a downside to living in soviet canuckistan afterall
Same problem here. Might as well go south of the border to the nearest free hotspot just to use the invite.

Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Same problem here. Might as well go south of the border to the nearest free hotspot just to use the invite.
At least you can make free phone calls and SMS from home? Saving those minutes and text messages for when your out and about? =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by wklink View Post
And incoming calls via google voice appear as 'sip:1235551212@...', so the internet call program doesn't make the connection and tell me who is calling.
The number before the "@" is the persons number who is calling. So it does show you who is calling. Or you can just leave the call screening option on in GV and get an announcement of who is calling.
I just spent an afternoon adding my most used contacts into GV one at a time. Time consuming... I did transfer all my contacts from my gmail account which was quick, but didn't have their phone numbers listed in those contacts.

Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
The number before the "@" is the persons number who is calling. So it does show you who is calling. Or you can just leave the call screening option on in GV and get an announcement of who is calling.
I just spent an afternoon adding my most used contacts into GV one at a time. Time consuming... I did transfer all my contacts from my gmail account which was quick, but didn't have their phone numbers listed in those contacts.
Well, I understand it shows the number in some form, but that's only helpful if I memorize everyone's phone number. In addition to mapping to the caller's name, I also have photos and it'd be nice to just glance at the screen and see who's calling...

This is great info for people as when I was setting it up I couldn't find much documentation (useful that is).

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had a list of tips and tricks related to Google Voice (and/or Gizmo) such as the dial 2 when you dial your GV # and enter voicemail (by entering * then pin) to call out from any phone. And dial * to switch between phones.

There are quite a few uses for GV and I was wondering if anyone has thought them out. So far the only unofficial thing I've used it for is prank calling dating hotlines (with +Gizmo).

I saw something related to piping through an Asterisk server but that information seems outdated.

I was also wondering if anyone else has had trouble calling their GV voicemail from dialcentral. Also is there some secret way of entering the asterisk and pound keys from dialcentral?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

I have wifi @ home, but only a prepaid cell phone (cuz im broke and im not payin for the internet).

This enables me to talk to people without worryin about my minutes!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

///EDIT

I just got my invite today, too.. good timing!

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-07-21 at 04:20.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by wklink View Post
For outgoing calls, it seems like dialcentral only supports CSV files or google contacts. It would be nice if dialcentral could at least integrate with contactinfos. Better still if I could just place the call, via GV, directly from contacts.
Not to particularly pick on you, but I recommend people suggesting features for Dialcentral to post in the DC thread since I'm more likely to notice it there rather than Dialcentral, GIzmo, and GoogleVoice issues here.

I have an ... odd use case which is why I've never gotten around to integrating with the contacts app. I have a contact list source that does not support sync. So occasionally I blap my list from that source in Dialcentral and GPE Contacts and then reimport in both. It is something I'll make note of and hopefully sometime figure out how to do it.

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice, instructions, n810