Active Topics

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Baseband UMTS chips tunable via software? That's news to me. Do you have a link?
how do you think cell tower handoff happens? Adjacent towers use different freqs.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
how do you think cell tower handoff happens? Adjacent towers use different freqs.
What does that have to do with making baseband UMTS chips tunable via software?

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
So the N900 is just for European, Australian, New Zealand, and Asian 900 MHz markets...........

No.
2100 for Europe and Asia.
900 mainly for Oz &NZ.
(Please see the thread that I referred to in post #1 as I have already tried to answer you concerning the frequencies and I have linked to the Wikipedia page.)
It looks like my original assumption is correct. A present day 2100mhz radio will send and/or receive all of the various 2100 MHz bandwidth subdivisions (i.e., both Band I and Band IV.).

IOW, the one (and only one) N900 will work with T-Mobile's 3G network in the U.S. and most everybody's 3G network in Europe and Asia.
Thank you all for clarifying and reaffirming this.

Last edited by kenny; 2009-09-12 at 23:53.

What does that have to do with making baseband UMTS chips tunable via software?
if one tower uses x freq, and another tower uses y freq..the radio must tune from one freq to the other. This action is iniated by software. There isn't a tiny knob being turned by nanobots. Cellular radios have a range of freqs they are usable on which is determined by physical attributes (antenna cinfiguration, amp circuit, etc). Once again, if the radio is physically capable of tuning a given range of freqs (2100 range,850range, etc) then tuning to one channel versus another is a matter of a software command...just like modern fm stereos that have soft buttons for tuning rather than physical knobs.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
But that's Band I, not Band IV. Can one radio cover both bands? It should, as Texrat says, but can that be confirmed? Because some TMobile hardware won't work in Asia, I've heard.
if the phone doesn't know to attempt a connection on certain channels, it won't try. It's a software issue, not a radio issue.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
if one tower uses x freq, and another tower uses y freq..the radio must tune from one freq to the other. This action is iniated by software. There isn't a tiny knob being turned by nanobots. Cellular radios have a range of freqs they are usable on which is determined by physical attributes (antenna cinfiguration, amp circuit, etc). Once again, if the radio is physically capable of tuning a given range of freqs (2100 range,850range, etc) then tuning to one channel versus another is a matter of a software command...just like modern fm stereos that have soft buttons for tuning rather than physical knobs.
Baseband UMTS radio chips are much more complicated than FM chips and are not tunable by software across a continuum of frequencies. Currently, they can only operate on the pre-defined channels in a limited number of pre-defined bands. I have an engineering degree. I'm not guessing here.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Baseband UMTS radio chips are much more complicated than FM chips and are not tunable by software across a continuum of frequencies. Currently, they can only operate on the pre-defined channels in a limited number of pre-defined bands. I have an engineering degree. I'm not guessing here.
as do I. Difference is, I'm right on this issue. And yes, they are tunable across a set of frequencies for which they are designed. The firmware controlling the radio may only have certain 'presets' available for the telephony stack to choose, but that's not a physical limitation. Once again...does it even make sense from a layman's point of view that the european n900 would have a 1700 radio if the 2100 radio was unusable in the states on AWS bands? Seriously...think about that for a second.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hm.. just a quick question. When Nokia release a particular cellphone model with different radio support for different regions in the past, do they mark them differently? (Perhaps with a different model number, or suffix, or something that can be discerned on the spec page)

Or do they just make use of their distribution channels to deliver the correct spec to the correct region, thus making cross broder sales a risky endeavour for the buyer?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hm.. just a quick question. When Nokia release a particular cellphone model with different radio support for different regions in the past, do they mark them differently? (Perhaps with a different model number, or suffix, or something that can be discerned on the spec page)

Or do they just make use of their distribution channels to deliver the correct spec to the correct region, thus making cross broder sales a risky endeavour for the buyer?
Well the N95 was specially released for the U.S. market with the "NAM" moniker (and more specifically with the "n95-3" label)...I don't know if they had a special serial number range though I'm sure they did.

dunno if that helps

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@texaslabrat: perhaps I should invert the question..

If the N900 (for some reason) are in fact outfitted with different radio for different region (ie: nam vs rest of the world), wouldn't they carry different model number\mark of distinction?