Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
so if you are keen on having better sound try to install an AUX input or use the simple cassette I KNOW that it is sooooo Yesterday....but is bad sound the present Future ?
Why bother with AUX input or even FM transmitter? More and more car audio systems have AD2P support. e.g. the Sony MEX-BT* series. Blaupunkt and Pioneer are also manuacturing AD2P enabled car audio systems.

After using FM transitters for years (and I was never really happy with the sound quality of any of these FM tramitters) I recently bought a Sony car audio with AD2P support. The quality via AD2P is so much better than via FM transmitter.

And as I understand, the N900 will support AD2P out of the box.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
So far the N900's FM transmitter (stereo, btw) has worked great for me. It's got the eae of use of a Belkin and the quality of an iTrip. Very good experiences so far.

Tim

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
And as I understand, the N900 will support AD2P out of the box.
Yes, and it sounds awesome with my Motorola S9s.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
Why bother with AUX input or even FM transmitter?
- rental cars
- company cars
- old cars
etc ....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Your (new) girlfriends car....

Also, you can blast tunes anywhere a radio can be found, even transmit and share music in creative cases.

Maybe I missed this: does the N900 have an FM receiver as well?

};^)~

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes it has a receiver as well. Just no app that uses it yet.

I hope someone makes an app that takes audio from the mic and pumps it out through the FM transmitter. It will turn the N900 into a wireless microphone.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
Coming from the US, I can tell you that the difference between a good and not-so-good FM transmitter depends heavily on its ability to broadcast at 87.9MHz. This frequency is generally vacant (for reasons unknown to me) and often not a selectable option on consumer FM transmitters.
Can't speak to whether the N900 supports this frequency, but I figured I'd put my radio nerd hat on for a minute. There are two reasons why there are basically no licensed radio stations at 87.9 FM:

1) The treaties the US has with Canada and Mexico only cover the frequencies from 88.1 MHz through 107.9 MHz. The FCC has the actual documents at http://www.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/fil...-bc/can-fm.pdf and http://www.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/files/mex-bc/fmbc.pdf. Any station within 320 km of either border has to abide by these agreements and can't be on 87.9, so that rules out large swathes of the northern and southern portions of the US.

2) The other reason has to do with the old analog VHF TV channel 6. The audio for channel 6 was broadcast at 87.75 MHz using the exact same transmission technique as broadcast radio. Since each FM station needs 0.1 MHz of space on each side of its center frequency, channel 6 (which would extend to 87.85 MHz upwards) rules out a radio station at 87.9 (which would extend to 87.8 MHz downwards). So anywhere there was a channel 6 TV station, 87.9 MHz couldn't be allocated.

Interesting tidbit: Wikipedia claims (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broa..._United_States) that there are in fact only *two* licensed radio stations in the whole country on 87.9MHz: KSFH Mountain View, CA (a high school station) and K200AA Sun Valley, NV (a translator of Christian radio station KAWZ Twin Falls, ID).

And there's your bit of radio trivia for the day (or month!). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming, also known as "wishing I could buy an N900"...

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to cobalt917 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post

I hope someone makes an app that takes audio from the mic and pumps it out through the FM transmitter. It will turn the N900 into a wireless microphone.
That's the best idea I've heard all day!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cadabena For This Useful Post:
@colbalt917

Thank you for the extremely thorough explanation of 87.9 MHz.

So, I think you would agree that the N900 having the ability to broadcast on this frequency would be fantastic. Well, at least for Americans.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Seriously! It's a great idea! I wonder how far it transmits.

It would be fun to have this via wifi as well. Which raises an interesting question...

Are there any 'discovery' servers available for maemo? For example, discovering a device on a local network and potentially the services that it's open to. This would be a useful little project.

}:^)~