Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
The N900 is too good for those tatty 3 SIMs...they belong in lesser phones....do not sully the N900 with them

Buy a plan from a company worthy of the N900s stature, or return to the unwashed rabble from whence you came.

Originally Posted by tme View Post
My personal theory is that it is rejecting the SIM because it
is 3G-only whereas all other networks support mixed 2G/3G
operation. But then it's only a theory.
I'm not a 3 customer, but I thought that 3 peered with another operator for GSM stuff?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
3 (in the UK) use[d] USIMs. That might be it.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I found this in the 3 PAYG SIM Only Terms and Conditions:

SIMs used in a 2G handset will be disconnected.
Perhaps there is a setting in the N900 which disables 3G but leaves 2G enabled? If so, that would cause 3 to invalidate the SIM.

The reason 3 does this is that they have to pay another network (Orange?) for 2G roaming, so they lose money if someone uses a handset that's only capable of 2G operation.

Roger

Last edited by eiffel; 2009-10-15 at 16:13. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
The N900 is too good for those tatty 3 SIMs...they belong in lesser phones....do not sully the N900 with them

Buy a plan from a company worthy of the N900s stature, or return to the unwashed rabble from whence you came.
Hogwash, I know that 3 used to be crappy... However they have cought up and have a really awesome 3.5G network in the UK and in Austria and they are very flexible with their PAYG add ons. I used to buy 1 GB add on for 5GBP and was able to tether it to my laptop with joikuspot - when your not in the country you don't pay - no contract - no obligations

Now I use a Austrian 3 sim when i am in Europe and do not pay roaming in denmark, sweden, italy, england and ireland

@Maemo Team Please change the priority of this bug report

Absolutely, IMO 3 have a great data network in the UK. Particularly good rates on PAYG, as pointed out.

In the absence of any reasonable confirmation that 3 SIMS are supported, I've had to take the only prudent course of action and cancel my pre-order :-(.

Which makes me kind of sad!

Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up in the future once I am certain the network is supported.

Thanks again for the replies,
Spann

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
I can confirm that 3 Mobile in Sweden do not work either !

had a chat with Nokia support and the guy tested a 3 SIM and got the same result SIM-Card Rejected.
He then sent a BUG report as well into NOKIA development about the issue.
BUT....you all have to be aware that THIS mean of course that Nokia will NOT RELEASE ANY PHONES especially where 3-Mobile operates.
Before this issue is solved.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Perhaps there is a setting in the N900 which disables 3G but leaves 2G enabled? If so, that would cause 3 to invalidate the SIM.
at least in manual is mentioned that one could change from settings between 3g&2g and plain 2g

Show some education, please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden

I think Hogwash have proven himself to act as a "funny guy"

THE PROBLEM....only he think he is.
my advice...just ignore him