Active Topics

Poll: Do you prefer to disclose your home location in your profile?
Poll Options
Do you prefer to disclose your home location in your profile?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
i don't support mandatory specific location info, especially not coordinates, but at least a country or province/state. If N900 becomes a hit, I'd like to know which members live closest to me to arrange meetups or discuss locally pertinent info. I mainly want it for users to relate to each other. I want to know who is from the major tech centers, etc. If an attack goes down in UK, I want to know which members to contact or be concerned.

Start local meets via the forums then. Spam other local resources as well. Dont need to know where i hail from to do that. Ask and you shall receive. Seek, and you will find.

I understand what your'e getting at on a convenience stance, however i believe that info should be completely optional to divulge, and should be held close to the chest at very least. Too many stupid people give out info and get taken advantage of, so from a social responsibility/security standpoint im not for it. Sorry, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one brother =P

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
"worthing, england"
In west sussex? I'm from Shoreham!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
Yea, sorry been around too long. Seen what happens when people know what city you live in.
Yeeears ago I was a moderator for AOL (ducks rotten fruit and rocks). One member was a detective and by cues left by others he started figuring out who they were and posted personal info in forums to taunt them. Scary. One of my first indicators of what was to come...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeeears ago I was a moderator for AOL (ducks rotten fruit and rocks). One member was a detective and by cues left by others he started figuring out who they were and posted personal info in forums to taunt them. Scary. One of my first indicators of what was to come...
heh.

yea.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Maemo.org was a social network, and therefore one's Maemo (N810 or N900 at the moment) device could give the live location, fed right from the device's GPS...
We had some plans on something like that. Maybe good time to bring it up in the sprint meetings?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
i don't support mandatory specific location info, especially not coordinates, but at least a country or province/state.
Here's how we did it for Qaiku.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Would a minimum requirement of 'continent' really breach anyone's confidentiality? It would at least resolve the TMOUk v TMUSA issues. Besides which, most of us give that much away by our spelling...

(Ducks comments about those who may be incontinent)

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Would a minimum requirement of 'continent' really breach anyone's confidentiality? It would at least resolve the TMOUk v TMUSA issues. Besides which, most of us give that much away by our spelling...

(Ducks comments about those who may be incontinent)
Tmo-UK-vTmo-France, etc? :P

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Tmo-France (or Orange-France) are not that far from the other variants on the same continent. The USA versions are... different.

Tags
don't look now but, i'm right behind you