Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
X-Chat in extras-devel works fine.

Some problems I have had with it, along with the workarounds to make things very usable for me:

- Settings are not saved, and attempting to save settings crashes XChat
-- Workaround: Edit the config file: ~/.xchat2/xchat.conf

- No tab key for autocompletion of users' names
-- Workaround: remap my keys to use Fn+Rightarrow as Tab key

- Upon closing, the maemo-xinput-sounds process sometimes runs away and starts consuming 97% of the processor until the battery dies
-- Workaround: "killall maemo-xinput-sounds" if the load applet shows strange activity after closing XChat.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
Thanks. I have vague memory that I have seen maemo xterm with alt on the menubar. I don't like to restart my irssi session, so I think I will look around a bit more before modifying irssi config
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
How about sharing your irssi configuration files or showing people how they can do this themselves?
You can use the /bind command in irssi to change the keybindings without restarting it. Afterwards just use /save to write the config file and make the bindings permanent.

For example (the actual commands in bold, the rest is comments):
/bind Show a list of all current bindings
/bind ^P previous_window Binds ctrl-P to change to previous window
/bind -delete ^P Clears the binding for ctrl-P

Some key combinations might get eaten by the terminal, ssh or screen, so you'll probably have to experiment a bit to find working ones.

Last edited by hqh; 2009-12-02 at 21:22.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Uppsala,Sweden
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
set up irssi on on a screen on your desktop or server and use X-Terminal to connect to it using SSH.

More info
I was just wondering, why recommend a solution which involves opening up a port on your desktop for no apparent reason? This is, IMHO, a solution if and only if you really need the ssh service running for some other reason. Don't forget, there's alot of bad guys out there.

EDIT: Or maybe there is a reason. Battery life and data traffic economy?

Last edited by davost; 2009-12-02 at 22:05.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
There are hundreds of reasons to want to be able to SSH into your desktop - it's a fantastically useful thing to be able to do. If you set it up with only one username allowed to log in, and only with a key, you're pretty secure from would-be bad guys.

If you can do it this way, you should - it's great.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
I use pidgin for my IRC needs. It has SSL support. The only problem to my mind is that the window to see the chat messages is really really small.

The Following User Says Thank You to in-maemo For This Useful Post:
Been using X-Chat all day since I downloaded last night, fantastic IRC client in it's current state. Only issue I've noticed is when closing the app, if you choose "Minimize to tray", the app will close down but cannot be launched from the icon again.

Thinking about it now, I should of dropped into the shell and see if there was job present to fg back into the foreground. I'll try that later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nytcrawlr For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
nytcrawlr: If you like to "minimize to tray" (why? that concept doesn't make sense in Maemo 5) you can install "hildon-systray" and you can see the XChat icon there... That's pretty much the only use I've found so far for hildon-systray.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Uppsala,Sweden
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
There are hundreds of reasons to want to be able to SSH into your desktop - it's a fantastically useful thing to be able to do. If you set it up with only one username allowed to log in, and only with a key, you're pretty secure from would-be bad guys.

Granted, ssh is very useful, I use it a lot. But I only have it enabled when and where I really need it. As a matter of fact you are not really safe. Just consider TLS. The foundation of almost all web security. That was considered safe until the renogatiation weakness was discovered not many months ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to davost For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by ewan View Post

Actually, the "one username only makes it secure" is a myth. A username isn't a secret, and it shouldn't be treated as one. Yes, my username on my boxes is "slauwers". Yes, my boxes are exposed to the wild wild web.

Just disallow root logon and enforce PKI authentication. Has been discussed plenty of times.

Originally Posted by davost View Post
Granted, ssh is very useful, I use it a lot. But I only have it enabled when and where I really need it. As a matter of fact you are not really safe. Just consider TLS. The foundation of almost all web security. That was considered safe until the renogatiation weakness was discovered not many months ago.
You're paranoid, good for you. Most people can't be bothered to turn sshd on and off the whole time -- it kinda defeats the purpose. SSH with PKI authentication is very secure. I can give you a few IPs, to you and the whole wide world, and I have no doubt no one would hack it by guessing my private key. Maybe an exploit in one of the cryptolibraries, but then again, that's a one-in-a-million event, and I really doubt my servers are of enough importance to warrant that kind of level of research.

There's much bigger chance one of the gazillion other services you are running will have a leak, exploit or backdoor than SSH.

Oh, and for the record, he never said his desktop was exposed to the web -- wifi works in local too.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
irssi IRC just got promoted to Extras-testing

More info here - http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...rssi/0.8.14-1/

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-03 at 00:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:

Tags
irssi, maemo 5