Indeed.

My main concern would be Nokia pushing out another device relatively soon, and pushing development on to a new platform. That would really suck.

GoogleNav is the only other thing really drawing me to the Droid, but even that is a bit of a 'meh' for me.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by rsuffix View Post
My main concern would be Nokia pushing out another device relatively soon, and pushing development on to a new platform. That would really suck.
Actually it won't suck at all.

Again, you are here in the maemo.org open source community, which is fiercely determined to extend the usefulness of the devices into a very long tail.

Even though Nokia has dropped official support for them, 770s, N800s and N810s are still in use and in fact I've seen posts from people very recently looking for these legacy tablets.

This community will not allow the devices to die just because Nokia, like any other consumer product manufacturer, has moved on to another iteration. The N900 will enjoy a very long life no matter what comes next.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rsuffix View Post
That's one concern I have about the Droid too, lack of root access.

That being said I fully intend to use the terminal in the N900, that's one of the big draws for it. If it wasn't for something like ConnectBot giving Android a decent SSH client I wouldn't even consider it.
If command line access is that big a priority (and don't get me wrong, I find it invaluable on my N810) - then maybe the N900 is for you. Having to use SSH would be limiting.

Maybe wait some time until the device shows up at local stores and you can get some sense of how it seems in your hands.

Good luck.