Notices

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
the problem probably is, that your songs don't have correct trackNo filled in (e.g. in the case above, it is set to zero) - thus player uses track title.. I'd love to have tracks sorted by filename, when inserted into playlist, too

I've got the same thing with my N900 and music collected from over the ages: most albums don't show cover art (even though there is a 'cover.jpg' in each album folder) but also I have the alphabetical listing issue with the media card. Two albums out of about 60 on the MMC card are correctly listed.
I just wanted to let you know you're not alone if you see this :-)
I'll grab a tag editor and try to find the root cause shortly.

The Following User Says Thank You to m3topaz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by m3topaz View Post
I've got the same thing with my N900 and music collected from over the ages: most albums don't show cover art (even though there is a 'cover.jpg' in each album folder
Have you tried the steps listed in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36145, at posts 26 and 28?

but also I have the alphabetical listing issue with the media card. Two albums out of about 60 on the MMC card are correctly listed.
I just wanted to let you know you're not alone if you see this :-)
I'll grab a tag editor and try to find the root cause shortly.
You probably don't have the track number (or it has the wrong value) in those songs.

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Originally Posted by jkq View Post
Have you tried the steps listed in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36145, at posts 26 and 28?

You probably don't have the track number (or it has the wrong value) in those songs.

-jkq
1) No - but thank you for drawing them to my attention. I'll take a look when I get more time, I think there's merit in step 26.

2) No - it's not track number. I've downloaded eyeD3 and I have a high degree of trust in it.
I did use Musicbrainz to blat a few of the folders and that seems to have a pretty good hit rate when it comes to decorating music to appear on the N900.

Overall, although I'm a little used to the luxury of Rhythmbox on Ubuntu, I was surprised that the N900 wasn't a little more resilient for track numbers. I'm certain to have to do more work to put more dimension around this 'feature' :-)

2) No - it's not track number. I've downloaded eyeD3 and I have a high degree of trust in it.
I did use Musicbrainz to blat a few of the folders and that seems to have a pretty good hit rate when it comes to decorating music to appear on the N900.
All my songs were tagged using eyeD3 and some scripts I wrote myself, so I know that method works.

-jkq

Hi,

I have had a similar issue in this thread -

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39938

I have found that only MP3 format files are listed correctly.

My WMA format files are listed alphabetically.

Anyone know of a fix or workaround for this?

Thanks

Originally Posted by snubmoggy View Post
I have found that only MP3 format files are listed correctly.

My WMA format files are listed alphabetically.

Anyone know of a fix or workaround for this?
Can you follow the steps in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=460078&postcount=8 and post the results? I'm wondering if your WMA tags are being recognized properly by tracker.

-jkq

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
Solved (via workaround):

First I moved all my music off the SDcard in my n900 onto my laptop.

I downloaded Songbird & built a library off my laptop.

Then plugged my n900 in Mass storage mode & manually (right click, send to n900) sent my albums to the n900.

Job done.

I suspect WMA tagging wasn't recognised by the n900...or I was using a old version of WM player that wasn't tagging correctly..using the correct version....?

Either way....Songbird worked....It's a neat interface, clean install but ....slight word of caution, I'm running Windows 7 64bit & it Songbird crashed several times during music transfer....although it re-started relatively smoothly & quickly. It does clearly warn you during the install that Win7 isn't fully supported in but it does work...sorta!

Still missing some bits of artwork but I can work on that ...main thing is the tracks are in the right order.

Thanks all for your advice.

Sam

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portsmouth, England
Originally Posted by HomesIckAlien View Post
Solved (via workaround):

First I moved all my music off the SDcard in my n900 onto my laptop.

I downloaded Songbird & built a library off my laptop.

Then plugged my n900 in Mass storage mode & manually (right click, send to n900) sent my albums to the n900.

Job done.

I suspect WMA tagging wasn't recognised by the n900...or I was using a old version of WM player that wasn't tagging correctly..using the correct version....?

Either way....Songbird worked....It's a neat interface, clean install but ....slight word of caution, I'm running Windows 7 64bit & it Songbird crashed several times during music transfer....although it re-started relatively smoothly & quickly. It does clearly warn you during the install that Win7 isn't fully supported in but it does work...sorta!

Still missing some bits of artwork but I can work on that ...main thing is the tracks are in the right order.

Thanks all for your advice.

Sam
#

Hi Sam

This is all very interesting, I have been struggling with the track order and album art for a while now...weeks and weeks.

I get the same problem with track order with WMA files (newly ripped or from historical library), always alphabetical when on the N900 ggrrr. I have used Songbird and Media Monkey and WMP and am running on a PC with XP.

WMP drops the album art everytime (due to me using bitrate conversion from lossless down to 64Kbit and Songbird seems to get the album art but all tracks are listed alphabetically.

I noticed it works for you with Songbird and am wondering if I have the wrong settings somewhere. Have looked through but not getting anything obvious.

Any ideas, anyone at all as I am quite stuck!

Regards
Simon

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
Hmmm, sorry not sure - the album art is still a bit hit & miss with mine though...but songs are importing fine.

Don't think I changed any settings from defaults except for going for 192kps high quality as I figured space wouldn't be an issue.

Songbird: Have you tried re-trying by ripping some new songs from CD ? Be warned...if you're running Windows 7 you'll need to add the Gearworks add-on to enable ripping.....I only mention it because it took me ages to find that ! ;-)

Let me know how you get on - don't give up: I know how frustrating it is but you'll get there.