Active Topics

Darn!
beaten to it, oh well next time lol

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
You really don't? Not at all? Without a sim card it behaves like a N810?

I am asking, because the answer may be more tricky than one would think. On my symbian phone as well (e51) and the previous ones, you do not need a sim card. It has wi-fi, and without a sim card you could theoretically use it over wi-fi.

Except that it is not really usable. Without a sim card, the phone defaults to flight mode and switches off all transmitters (including bluetooth and wi-fi). I can switch them on again, but they tend to switch themselves off again with no apparent reason at the most inconvenient moment, especially on hidden networks. It should work. It appears to work at first. In truth: it does not really work.

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
You really don't? Not at all? Without a sim card it behaves like a N810?

I am asking, because the answer may be more tricky than one would think. On my symbian phone as well (e51) and the previous ones, you do not need a sim card. It has wi-fi, and without a sim card you could theoretically use it over wi-fi.

Except that it is not really usable. Without a sim card, the phone defaults to flight mode and switches off all transmitters (including bluetooth and wi-fi). I can switch them on again, but they tend to switch themselves off again with no apparent reason at the most inconvenient moment, especially on hidden networks. It should work. It appears to work at first. In truth: it does not really work.
You do not need a sim card except for phone calls and data outside of wifi. I tested the phone for 2 days before switching the sim from my previous phone. It all worked just fine.

And despite what the other person said about video calls, the front facing camera is not supported officially AT ALL yet by Nokia. And even though some people can get it to work somewhat, it is buggy, unstable, and the video quality so far is very poor.