Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have this issue as well. Everything is working fine on 3G but when I switch to WiFi I get "Address not Found" in my web browser. None of the application catalogues update either. However, I can still IM through the built-in Skype and I get all the feeds in the Facebook widget that I have on the desktop. This seems to be major issue as many other are reporting this.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
If this is reproducible, this is a major bug. Updated the firmware on my N900 early this morning and everything seemingly went fine: "update successful" or whatever it says when it is done.

I have no problems connecting to either T-Mobile GPRS or my LAN's router, but I cannot connect to the outside world on the wifi. ...
Help!
this sounds like a problem setting up dns and routes from a dhcp serving access point

you should be getting something like

route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

and
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1
if the update broke dhcp for *your* router, you can configure dns and route manually

for e.g. set a dns server
echo 4.2.2.1 > /etc/resolv.conf

add a route
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Last edited by ArnimS; 2010-01-14 at 21:26.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Don't panic....I had the same issue

Read this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...288#post470288
People play with beta quality applications from Maemo Extras Devel repository and blame firmware, if they have problems. One should be mentally prepared to flash the device sooner or later, if one plays with software from a development repository.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juaalto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by villo View Post
I have this issue as well. Everything is working fine on 3G but when I switch to WiFi I get "Address not Found" in my web browser. None of the application catalogues update either. However, I can still IM through the built-in Skype and I get all the feeds in the Facebook widget that I have on the desktop. This seems to be major issue as many other are reporting this.
Do you install vpnc? If so, you should fix /etc/resolv.conf which may prevent access of your browser.

Because - if you have ANY kind of access to Internet (facebook, skype etc) what means your N900 works fine. But browser configuration doesn't. Usual suspects - DNS resolution (/etc/resolv.conf) or you just have a general network problem and can't access some sites (I hope temporary).

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
this sounds like a problem setting up dns and routes from a dhcp serving access point

you should be getting something like

route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

and
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1
if the update broke dhcp for *your* router, you can configure dns and route manually

for e.g. set a dns server
echo 4.2.2.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
WRONG here. Don't try.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Press small middle button on "top" side of N900 and keep it 4 secs. It is a fast way. Regular PC works in the same design.

If phone works - a short press you a menu with position "switch off!". Of course, unlock first or it will ask you to swipe unlock before a menu.

Tryng to connect to WiFi again - after phone loads it would connect automatically (depending from your setup) or you can press small battery icon on top of screen, then select from menu "Internet connections" and select your WiFi.
I know all this, but why are you telling it to me?

But this is good information to all of you. Rebooting after major update (eventhought it reboots once) has at least solved some issues on my N900. Pretty basic guidance for any todays electronical device.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Do you install vpnc? If so, you should fix /etc/resolv.conf which may prevent access of your browser.

Because - if you have ANY kind of access to Internet (facebook, skype etc) what means your N900 works fine. But browser configuration doesn't. Usual suspects - DNS resolution (/etc/resolv.conf) or you just have a general network problem and can't access some sites (I hope temporary).
Just follow instructions over here. Very simple:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=41

End of thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to juaalto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I know all this, but why are you telling it to me?
I am very sorry, after reading all posts my eyes mixed word "Have" with "How"... Sorry, again!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Don't panic....I had the same issue

Read this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...288#post470288

I also had to uninstall OpenSSH, then reinstall it & reboot to be able to SSH into my N900 from my PC.

EDIT: Actually, I now notice that the sshd seems to timeout after a while, and becomes inaccessible from the outside. If I open a terminal on my N900 and "ssh root@localhost", it seems to kick it back into life, and I can connect again from my PC. Very odd behavior.
Didn't work for me - actually screwed up a bit.
It's painful on 2g getting to these pages!

Thought my run with the N900 was going to easy!
Uninstalled vpnc, fapn and fmms, no change...

It can see the wireless network - but just not connect.....
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Thought my run with the N900 was going to easy!
Uninstalled vpnc, fapn and fmms, no change...

It can see the wireless network - but just not connect.....
You also need to do something on the command line or reflash:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=41

The Following User Says Thank You to juaalto For This Useful Post: