Active Topics

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Aren't settings such as buffer length etc. buried somewhere in the device? How were they able to hide that on such an open device?
Settings for buffer length imply designing in a buffer. :-) Based on its behaviour, I suspect that the built-in media player has only as much buffering as the TCP connection and "load the audio buffer with the minimum sample" requires. I'm obviously speculating in the absence of information here.

Hmmm, where are my glasses? I can't see any streaming video... :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Ah yes that could be true indeed Alan.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I started audio streaming and then in order to keep the phone from cheating I disconnected the router from the AP, cutting the internet but having no notification.

The radio played for 9 seconds before entering a buffering state.

Audio buffer it's not.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by draculr View Post
Yep, I think for a desktop internet radio player you do not need much in the way of buffering or seeking, but in a mobile device a large buffer (in minutes at least) is quite essential. On my trip I go through a long tunnel with no 3G signal for a few miles, so the radio will be dead for those 5-10 minutes.
This implies a certain type of stream, and not really like what you have on a real radio station. The only way you could have 5-10 minutes of buffered audio if the source was a real radio station (since it can't speed up) was to start building the buffer 5-10 minutes before you actually started listening. Everything would then be out of sync, with the "9 AM news" actually hitting your ear at 9:10. So

If the sort of stream you're talking about is of the model "large/huge block of songs played in some order, with adverts inserted occasionally", that makes sense to buffer, since the delivery timing doesn't correspond with the real world time. The pipe could be opened, the music could start playing, and by the end of the first song your could have already buffered the next 4 songs.

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
This implies a certain type of stream, and not really like what you have on a real radio station. The only way you could have 5-10 minutes of buffered audio if the source was a real radio station (since it can't speed up) was to start building the buffer 5-10 minutes before you actually started listening. Everything would then be out of sync, with the "9 AM news" actually hitting your ear at 9:10. So

This is what I want, my gprs connection is not that great and having unbroken music while on the go would definitely be worth the out of sync issue. The buffer might only need to be 1 - 2 minutes anyway...

Are there any other internet radio apps bein developed for Maemo 5 that would have buffering options?

I am interested in this too... I often get my radio cut off and all I hear is beeping. Is there a way to extend the buffer in media player? This would come in handy for long car trips.

Last edited by Moolan; 2010-02-02 at 22:37.

I am amazed with mediabox, finally got a chance to install it and playing with it today on my crappy as hell 2G connection it hasn't skipped once (shoutcast streams) lol. I actually had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't connected to wifi since it worked too well hehe. Streams under 128k seem to work fine on my edge service.

Only question is how does battery life compare to streaming music with the built in media player...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Only question is how does battery life compare to streaming music with the built in media player...
There ought to be no noticable difference if you let the screen switch off. If you force the screen to stay lit, it will suck more battery, of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thanks pycage I'm glad I gave mediabox a try. One thing though, will more options be added such as searching for shoutcast stations, and maybe changing the view from thumbnails to list instead? or can this be done already?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thanks pycage I'm glad I gave mediabox a try. One thing though, will more options be added such as searching for shoutcast stations, and maybe changing the view from thumbnails to list instead? or can this be done already?
Yes, there will be more options added.