Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Have you used the Backup App? [N900]
Poll Options
Have you used the Backup App? [N900]

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
mine work perfectly. i got my sixaxis to connect with my N900 and restored the backup and yes all working. some apps may need the specific dependency but all you need to do is enable the extra-dev and install "appinstaller" then everything work.

I ran into a few problem when restoring but no biggy the clash was just setting hehe but nothing broke at all. i guess you may have installed too many third party apps from terminal.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
As a general principle though, a 'backup' that relies on re-installing things from external repos is always going to be risky since their availability and contents can change.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
In short, after hours of testing I have concluded it is the Backup Application. In my opinion, DO NOT use it. I wont be anymore.
This is your opinion and you have a right to so but please stop misleading other users with BIG RED CAPS.

The Backup application is fine. It's just a story like with any other backup - it does not do miracles - it just restores files and settings. If you backed up a mess, mess you get after restore - as simple as that.

The apps you mentioned that gave you troubles are alpha testing versions not approved by Nokia. Didn't your app manager warn you that you may mess your device installing them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
My back up have been flawless and a real suprise as to how comprehensive it is. Heck it even restored my BeachBabe theme when it is no longer on the Ovi store

Compared to the torture of any MS back up tool it is absolutely fantastic.
John

I'm with everyone else on this one - the backup app can't be expected to re-install every single one of your dependancies when you've done stuff like installing through dpkg and installing random software through extras-devel.

In those situation, the backup app will re-install most of your stuff, and you can re-install the rest manually as you did before.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
I'm with everyone else on this one - the backup app can't be expected to re-install every single one of your dependancies when you've done stuff like installing through dpkg and installing random software through extras-devel.

In those situation, the backup app will re-install most of your stuff, and you can re-install the rest manually as you did before.
Definitely, but f2thak's reported issue is that he's unable to install anything after restoring the backup. Now, given the posts I've seen from him in other threads, I'm more inclined to believe that he's stuffed it up somehow himself than that the backup app is inherently faulty, but I'd still be interested in knowing exactly where the issue lies.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Well... IIRC you cannnot install new deb packages until you have some unconfigured packages. You should do "dpkg --configure -a".

Even synaptic has hard time resolving broken installation and you need to resort to manual dpkg/apt-get tooling.
The situation gets even more complicated with Maemo App Manager because it is designed to do no indirect uninstallation of packages, even if it could fix dpkg state.

But that's just guessing. "dpkg --configure -a; apt-get install -f" output should bring some light to the subject.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I'd say that the applicatio manager isn't that good in these situations when pretty heavy modifications all around has been made and stuff from extras-dev&testing is installed.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Definitely, but f2thak's reported issue is that he's unable to install anything after restoring the backup. Now, given the posts I've seen from him in other threads, I'm more inclined to believe that he's stuffed it up somehow himself than that the backup app is inherently faulty, but I'd still be interested in knowing exactly where the issue lies.
I agree it would be useful to know, but I'd query the "anything" - he only said "certain other apps" in his post.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
Yes, it also made it impossible for me to install other certain apps which were saying "Not Installable" in the app manager due to missing dependencies.

have not face that prob before. restored few times before so i think must be someth uve done before restore or u did not install via the app manager... beside is just the app that did not install back onto the phone not ur phone contacts and other data rite?....

Tags
app, backup, backup app, over-reaction, warning