Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
WOW . . .why the hell did Nokia Do this??? WTF??? All the good apps are on Maemo.Org extras-testing & -devel anyway

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
have you installed something from extras-testing or -devel? It seems that you have.

only reasonable solution is: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware
Thanks so much worked like a charm!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
WOW . . .why the hell did Nokia Do this??? WTF??? All the good apps are on Maemo.Org extras-testing & -devel anyway
So you yell for unstable apps and installed them, and now you complain that your device is unstable.

Hmm.

Did you think about your actions before blaming Nokia for something that you did yourself?

(Plus your exclamation mark and question mark keys seem to be broken as they are printed four resp. five times in the subject line though you probably just pressed them once...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
So you yell for unstable apps and installed them, and now you complain that your device is unstable.

Hmm.

Did you think about your actions before blaming Nokia for something that you did yourself?

(Plus your exclamation mark and question mark keys seem to be broken as they are printed four resp. five times in the subject line though you probably just pressed them once...)
The device isn't "UNSTABLE" ??? . . . . It was PERFECTLY stable BEFORE I reflashed the new update and it is PERFECTLY STABLE NOW!!!!

Nokia did this on purpose . . . . Now way adding additional sources to your app list MAGICALLY makes an update button disappear.

Come on . . . . they track your device if you install "ALTERNATIVE" apps so they can void your warranty!

NOT COOL

PS - I like exclamation marks

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-02-17 at 11:43.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@mrebanza: Hmm you need to read up more about what you install. The confirmation message pop ups and 3rd party install confirmations are there for a reason.

IMHO you're a little out of your depth here.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
The device isn't "UNSTABLE" ??? . . . . It was PERFECTLY stable BEFORE I reflashed the new update and it is PERFECTLY STABLE NOW!!!!
yes, your device might have been stable. but the software you installed came with a warning that it could make your device unstable or cause problems later.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@mrebanza: Hmm you need to read up more about what you install. The confirmation message pop ups and 3rd party install confirmations are there for a reason.
Yes, I know that the 3rd party Application Warranty Voiding confirmation messages are their and most likely their for a reason . . . but that does not mean that its a "BUG" or a "GLITCH" from a 3rd party App that caused the firmware update button to disappear?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Nonetheless, it is true that (a) if any users were to restrict themselves to never using programs out of those repositories, they would have tablets with unacceptable limitations for many users, (b) it is known that many of the programs in those repositories are perfectly safe, and (c) it is known that many Nokia-approved programs are not particularly safe.

So I happily ignore the Nokia restrictions, but I also happily reflash when necessary

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
but that does not mean that its a "BUG" or a "GLITCH" from a 3rd party App that caused the firmware update button to disappear?
actually it does. 3rd party app can break depencencies and that causes the disappearance of the button.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Come on . . . . they track your device if you install "ALTERNATIVE" apps so they can void your warranty!
I'm impressed. And I thought that *I* was paranoid. :-P

Pleae provide the ethereal dump that shows your MAC ID being send to Nokia everytime you install some 3rd party stuff.
Oh wait, those evil-doers probably even encrypted it, darn!!!!
Cunning. Veeeery cunning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: