Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's called augmented reality (AR).

One of the most popular use of that is to overlay map's waypoints and mark pertinent landmarks as you look at your surrounding through the camera's viewport. (probably because it's most readily and easily monetized, to load ads and whatnot).

Unfortunately, that use is somewhat hindered on the N900 because the N900 doesn't have a digital compass.
The usage of somewhat in that sentence is what they invented the word understatement for.

Greetings.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by kevloral View Post
The usage of somewhat in that sentence is what they invented the word understatement for.

Greetings.
I know what you mean ;(

But, there is still a chance of smart usage of existing sensors (2 cameras, 3d accelero, gps, wifi/gsm signals, whatnots and somesuches) to alleviate this issue... hopefully.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I know what you mean ;(
Me three. It's the only envy I have for Droids, 3GS's and the like. I was all prepared to create the wow factor. Nokia, you're so silly. Oh well, back to my cave.

But, there is still a chance of smart usage of existing sensors (2 cameras, 3d accelero, gps, wifi/gsm signals, whatnots and somesuches) to alleviate this issue... hopefully.
And a monkey might fly out of my...

Having a sensor give you a simple piece of information vs. CPU intensive pattern recognition is like... Is like... Well, it's not the same I tell you.

I'm gonna have a good day anyway, no thanks to you guys.

Originally Posted by msa View Post
the title sais what it is - augmented reality.

i want to bet that nintendo will again be the first to make one of those "new" technologies ready for the average consumer
like they did with motion sensing. that was the first step to make virtual reality accessible to everyone (with microsofts natal being step 2, where you dont need any physical devices in your hands to sense motion, i guess)
Step 1 was eyetoy for PS2

I forget where but there are already a couple of proof of concept videos of Augmented reality on the N900. I will try chase them up after work.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Me three. It's the only envy I have for Droids, 3GS's and the like. I was all prepared to create the wow factor. Nokia, you're so silly. Oh well, back to my cave.
Nah, I don't think taking out your phone and waving it around to read virtual tags on it is the future. They'll get REAL interesting once it's incorporated to HUD (on your specs or car's windshield), but until then... just prototypical toys.

And a monkey might fly out of my...
TMI dude... I don't need to know about your relationships with your animal friends

Having a sensor give you a simple piece of information vs. CPU intensive pattern recognition is like... Is like... Well, it's not the same I tell you.
Well, obviously. But don't underestimate the development of thingamajigs, whatnots and somesuches...

Have a great day!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2GUWrxTmU

Here we go. Excellent stuff.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Nah, I don't think taking out your phone and waving it around to read virtual tags on it is the future. They'll get REAL interesting once it's incorporated to HUD (on your specs or car's windshield), but until then... just prototypical toys.
I think you're dismissing it too easily. Most things get more interesting as we incorporate stuff: We have phones in computers. I'm not sure the long version has been generally released yet, but the Avatar documentary shows how this kind of technology is already changing that industry. It definitely has the solution-looking-for-a-problem feel, but it will pick up steam; the low hanging fruit wow factor of the astronomy programs was a good start. The pattern recognition stuff is impressive, but I'm not sure how much of that should be handled by the client. These examples represent a wide spectrum.

TMI dude... I don't need to know about your relationships with your animal friends
There's no doubt that my buddies Wayne and Garth are animals. But they're funny.

Well, obviously. But don't underestimate the development of thingamajigs, whatnots and somesuches...
I don't (mostly), but I also don't want to overestimate the laws of physics. You just can't put too much stress on the client. Isn't that part of the reason why Jobs waited so long with the iPhone and the iPad?. As an example, when writing or modifying real-time multi-player network games, the right and wrong way to do some of this stuff becomes quickly obvious. Occasionally, people forget that there are powerful servers on them there intertubes.

Have a great day!
Thanks, you too.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I was wondering wheter there are any augmented reality applications for the N900?

Nokia has recently made available an app called "Point & Find" for the Symbian phones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Gx9vHIkFM

It can recognize objects, buildings and barcodes using the camera.

There is a even better application for the iPhone 3GS, forgot it's name, which uses also the GPS to show what is around you (buildings, shops, public transport stations).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uH-jrsSxs

I am sure something like that would prove useful and the N900 is certainly capable of it, having a good camera and GPS.

Last edited by Jack6428; 2010-03-14 at 17:51.