Active Topics

Wow that sucks! I'm surprised it broke after such a short fall. If you do want to do it yourself, LCD replacements are pretty easy as PDA repairs go.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I would be reluctant to do it myself as I repaired my own PSP and have had nothing but problems with dust ingress since. Its simply impossible due to static to replace the screen in my house without a ton of dust stuck to it, your mileage may vary depending on if you have carpets and/or pets in the house, I have both. That said, if they do it in-store, you still have a certain risk there too as generally LCDs (and probably assembling of the phones themselves) are intended to be replaced in a clean room then sealed so that dust cannot get between the screen and the touch screen (or screen cover in the case of the PSP). Although I have doubts if even the repair centres stick to those guidelines as the few times I had things like my laptop repaired, it came back dirty.

It all depends on price I guess. It might cost you double to get it done professionally instead of doing it yourself, but its worth it. Now if its going to cost 3 times or more, then its probably worth risking it yourself. It does appear the N900 screen is easy to replace due to it being separate from the main unit thanks to the keyboard slider.

There is another risk to doing it yourself though, be careful where buy the screen. A friend of mine bought a replacement screen for his N95 but when it arrived, it didn't work. As it had been shipped from Hong Kong it wasn't worth paying return shipping so he basically wasted his money and his N95 never got repaired as he wasn't willing to risk it again. Had he just paid to get it repaired in the UK, it would have cost more but at least it would be working.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Thanks for your replies guys. I ll check where and for how much I can replace the screen as soon as I have some time to do that. For now, here is a picture of how the leakage spread on the screen 3 days after the unfortunate 'crash':

And, for comparison, how it looked like just after the 'crash' :

Time is running...

Cheers,
Ralph

Last edited by RafaLL92; 2010-03-18 at 18:05.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Would be nice if you tell us how much you payed for repair when it's done. We could create a community documentation of approximated repair prices for different cases.

I wish you good luck to have it repaired soon and cheaply! I fear the day this will happen to me.

wow, it must land on something to make this bad damage.

Unfortunately it is getting worse ... Now I have noticed that the display is no longer able to display the deepest black (its now more like washed out deep blue, or whatever). Additionally, there are visible horizontal lines (bright, little darker, bright, little darker and so on... )
I wouldn't be surprised if the display itself will die completely sooner or later, or am I mistaken?

Cheers,
Ralph

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I've had a Zune 30 with a broken display for about 2-3 years now (Never got around to fixing it because 1: I got a N800 to replace it, and 2: a new LCD costs over $50USD).

Just gave the battery a little juice, it seems some of the liquid's seeped out of the cracks, but not very far. So it hasn't "died" completely yet.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
eep!
i once broke the screen on my phone (not a nokia)
whilst waiting to get it replaced i had to rename all my contacts as "xxxxxxxxxx name"
cos the entire left hand side of the screen was borkened.

contact nokia anyway, its worth finding out if repair is possible

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Sorry to hear your bad news. I had my N900 spill off of my lap onto the street as I was getting out of my car last weekend. I was a bit stunned at first as I didn't realize what had just happened...until my wife exclaimed "Uh oh!" Fortunately, it kind of skidded across the road rather than hitting it solid, and it was/is in a hard case (bought here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250582533199) which sustained about a 3mm crack.

Yeah a hard case saved my Treo 650 a couple of months ago. Cats knocked it off a counter and onto a tiled floor I ordered one for the N900 long ago but it's going to be a while before it arrives, I might as well be shipping to Mars