Active Topics

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
are you sure nidO, cos I get a message saying that I am not on a supported network when i try iplayer on 3G. also, the built in browser can't handle iPlayer without being jerky

i'm on O2 online-30 tarriff with unlimited web bolt on and am curious how you manage it but not me
Positive. I've been streaming audio/video over O2's network for quite some time, my old E90 could handle it fine as well.

There's a trick to using iPlayer without it jerking, by starting a video, letting it play for a few seconds in it's small little embedded window, *then* maximising it.
Additionally, when viewing over 3G, using the low-bandwidth wii version of the player helps keep it smooth, available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/

(toggle the lower bandwidth option in the page's settings)

The APN username in use might also be a factor - i'm just using the o2web username (with the mobile.o2.co.uk APN address) and it works fine, but you may want to try changing the username to bypass - This will give you a connection that bypasses O2's image compression within web pages (using the standard o2web or vertigo usernames passes all web traffic through their filters that slightly lowers the quality and size of images), which may or may not help you - As I said though, audio and video streaming work fine for me with the o2web username.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
im on t-mob good service and coverage . my broadbands been out so useed phone as modem for about a week and got a text today saying id used 80% of my internet allowance, which was nice. my fup is 1gb with them

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Go for three if you are in London. In central and north the signal is great and its a data centred operator as it only exists on 3G.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
You can get 1000mb data only for £5 with three. Or a decent minutes and texts and data package at £15.

I am on t-mobile now and the HSPDA signal is very weak in closed spaces.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I'm North of Bristol so network experince will differ: O2 great, Orange good, T mobile & Vodafone rubbish.

I have it on *O2* PAYG and if I top up £10 I get 'unlimited' internet for a month which suits me fine - most of the time I'm at home using the wifi.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prospector For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
i had good experiences with three-UK as well.
i don't know if they have the same conditions now, as orange-AT has (which is the austrian version of three). over there you can get a real flat without cap or reducing to GPRS. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to assetburned For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fmo View Post
I use an O2 simplicity contract monthly renewable with "unlimited" internet for £20/month, I preferred to pay the N900 full price (well after cashback and discount around £370) that always works out cheaper than locking myself up on long term contracts.

Forgot to mention that I find the coverage and speed really good
I second that.

I've been with Orange for over a decade but since getting my N900 have been looking for a good data plan so just started trying out O2's Simplicity for smart phones - 1 month, monthly contract @ £20pm. So far I'm very happy so will likely port my number and move to a 12 month contract @ £15pm.

Details here:
http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplic...tphone/1_month

As already mentioned although they don't officially permit VoIP, Skype does work fine and I'm not finding anything is currently blocked. FYI, also not allowed is "continuous streaming of any audio / video content." So I would imagine an hour here and there of in-car Last.fm streaming during my daily commute should be fine.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffSmallPrint#PayMonthly
Data Bolt On, Smartphone Bolt On and Blackberry Bolt On Terms for mobile web usage

1. The Web Bolt On, Smartphone Bolt On and BlackBerry Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited‘s Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
* in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
* to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
* in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
From what I can gather their unlimited data is truly unlimited, without a defined maximum data allowance.

Last edited by Faz; 2010-04-05 at 01:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
just stay away from vodafone woteva u do. id say o2 but if its just data get 3 and topup online as u will get morel for your money

The Following User Says Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Note that with T-Mobile you can get free internet access (1G/month) - aka a "Booster" - which is capped at 3G (384kpbs) speed, or you can pay extra for internet access (Web'n'Walk, starting at £7.50/month for 1G/month) which is provisioned for HSPA (about 1.8Mbps download on the T-Mobile network).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
are you sure nidO, cos I get a message saying that I am not on a supported network when i try iplayer on 3G. also, the built in browser can't handle iPlayer without being jerky

i'm on O2 online-30 tarriff with unlimited web bolt on and am curious how you manage it but not me
i can also attest to the fact that i've been using my N900 on O2 since December with no issues on doing anything i want on my phone. Skype, YouTube, Qik...all work fine