Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
At 22:48 as stated in post.
Sorry, didn't notice and edited my earlier post before you responded.

coosbaytv, He is the only game in town! being a techie, of course I'm gonna listen!! even if he is an a-s-s hat ! show me another AM talk radio tech show!!

So before you give me the line about the iPad missing Flash, I can only say one thing; HTML5 and H.264. Twelve months from now, Flash video won't be an issue. Why, because the Pros use Mac based products (QT) to create content. The major players in content creation have already started to go back and re-encode their content (if necessary) to H.264 mpeg-4.
I also agree with the Flash issue, the iPad has so much hype, any decent website will offer Flash alternatives to their content. If I owned a website, I would be doing the same otherwise competing sites will attract the 450,000 new users (as of today).

Arn't most popular sites today already formatted especially for the iphone? Its sad but true.

Personally I feel the ipad will be a waste of money.

I'd spend a bit more and get a nice convertible tablet.
That's myself though, and I guess it all depends on your personal needs and wants.

It's great that a lot of sites will convert content to be html5 compatible. But when that site that has the content you want isn't viewable, thats when you kick yourself.

For myself I want my mobile devices to be like MacGuyvers swiss army knife. Others want a tool that only does a certain job and won't cut them accidently.

Anyhow, I hope you are happy with your purchase.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sønderjylland, Denmark
Okay, that is not unbiased. They are using Apple codecs for their site! Lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kesse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
I just don't understand how you guys can be so bipolar in your opinion of this device.

So many of you went out and stent the money and then turned around and *****ed about everything that is wrong with it.

On top of that, nobody is interested in creating any apps for the older devices but make excuses that they don't have the power. My Palm was only a 200 Mhz device and still had tons of apps that worked fine. They were expensive as hell, but they worked.

Sorry, I just saw all of the open flaming against the iPad and couldn't take it anymore...

Again, I am not a coder, just a hard core user and want to spend myu time being productive with my gear, not having to spend half my time looking for workarounds. That, it the reason I will buy the iPad as opposed to a Windows or Android tablet of that size.

Sorry, just my opinion and obviously I am way out of place here.

Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
coosbaytv, He is the only game in town! being a techie, of course I'm gonna listen!! even if he is an a-s-s hat ! show me another AM talk radio tech show!!
DUDE! FORGET AM RADIO!!!!

You have the internet which is full of nothing but tech podcasts.

Better yet, why doesn't someone here create a podcast on Open Source/Linux?

So before you give me the line about the iPad missing Flash, I can only say one thing; HTML5 and H.264. Twelve months from now, Flash video won't be an issue. Why, because the Pros use Mac based products (QT) to create content. The major players in content creation have already started to go back and re-encode their content (if necessary) to H.264 mpeg-4.
I can't help but feel that your views on flash are somewhat naive. "Pros" dont publish their content directly on to the web, they go through other services like youtube. "Pros" using Mac products (which certainly not all do) has little effect on the prevalence of online video format standards because the content distributors (youtube, etc) chose the end-format, and convert everything they publish anyways, and even then, flash works fine on Macs so I fail to see why them "using Mac products" has any relevance whatsoever (QT? I sure hope you aren't abbreviating Quicktime there -- the program which might influence a pro to work on a Mac is FinalCut Pro, not the batty integrated media player on OSX). There is also no currently accepted standard for html5 video -- Firefox wants to use an open codec while Chrome and Safari use h.264 which will have licensing fees associated with its usage in the near future.

zappa:

"For myself I want my mobile devices to be like MacGuyvers swiss army knife. "

Are you willing to pay $1500 to $2000?

And yes, most of the stuff I want to access are the sites that are moving into that trend.

Listen to Twit episode #241 around 22:48 to find out what Leo Laporte says about the N900 as compared to the iPhone and Nexus One. Keep in mind, he has PAID for all of these devices before he reviews them.
The only opinion of this phone that matters to me is my own. I bought it for me and my needs, not Leo and his needs.

People have different needs which is why it's good that there are a number of different smart phones. The iPhone whilst not for me is clearly a great phone for many other people. Same can be said for the Nexus One.

I expect one of two things will happen with this post:

1 no one will respond

2 it will start a flame war
Well at least you're honest about your intentions behind this post.

The Following User Says Thank You to SirMuttley For This Useful Post: