How do I change the shutdown Nokia splashscreen skalogre ?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
Originally Posted by rolan900d View Post
??????

The words......
The hands screen was already hacked
where and how cuz i want to take it off myself

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
How do I change the shutdown Nokia splashscreen skalogre ?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=480

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You can't change that screen as far as I know. I have been trying since the N800.

You will find icons with the same blue text on white background but they are for the "About" screen >> N900:\usr\share\icons\hicolor\scalable\hildon\about_nokia_logo.png
and, a start up logo that you will sometime see after the one you are calling the "splash" screen bro.

Not to be dickish but a "Splash" screen usually refers to software and that is what >> N900:\usr\share\icons\hicolor\scalable\hildon\startup_nokia_logo.png is. It "Splashes" on the screen after the "boot" screen. They just happen to be the same image.

You can change startup_nokia_logo.png to anything you want and sometimes you will see it at start-up and sometimes you won't.

You will however, always see the NOKIA boot screen though as I now believe it is in low level code real close to the hardware. Much like the System Logo and BIOS screens are on your desktop.

SLN member # 009

That logo would have to be changed in the firmware, at the kernel level as you can turn it off and have the dmesg spew across the screen I believe. I have also asked a similar question in relation to that logo.

If I remember rightly its in the boot loader and not the OS its self.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
@skalogre thanks for the sensible reply bro, finally i got one!
but i was already a part of that discussion and it went nowhere, which is why im asking for a hack to get into the locked 'nokia' part of the phone.

Truth is i was actually the first person on this planet to change the splash on the n95, then again on the n97, suppose thats my only claim to fame in this world!
so im not giving up on the n900

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
so a HACK is needed to get into the boot loader or the firmware or the kernel, do we know if anyone is working on that?
that was my original question!

i did find a way to remove the shutdown splash by editing an ELF image file, (i know it can be changed by replacing the image in icons)
but i dont want to replace the image i want to tell the device to look elsewhere for it, it didnt work, instead it removed it, there is also reference to the startup splash but i worry that changing that would cause phone to fail to boot, thats why i tested this method on the shutdown splash,
point is that there is reference to system/systemui in this file, and thats where i want access to

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

You can change startup_nokia_logo.png to anything you want and sometimes you will see it at start-up and sometimes you won't.

You will however, always see the NOKIA boot screen though as I now believe it is in low level code real close to the hardware. Much like the System Logo and BIOS screens are on your desktop.
startup_nokia_logo.png is actually the shutdown splash, and it NEVER shows at startup, because its not the startup image!
(nokia trying to trick us i suppose!)

and i was told i will ALWAYS see the nokia logo on other N series devices, but i still showed the world different on that bro!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
startup_nokia_logo.png is actually the shutdown splash, and it NEVER shows at startup, because its not the startup image!
(nokia trying to trick us i suppose!)

and i was told i will ALWAYS see the nokia logo on other N series devices, but i still showed the world different on that bro!
Good for you...

Um, I have changed that image to something completely different and as I said sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't depending on the boot state.

BTW, do you mind linking to something that shows what you did with the n95 and n97. I'm interested in how your hex editor got around the check sums. It can be done but, the negatives far outweigh any of the positives for me.

Yup, just checked again bro. Quick reboot and no show. Take the battery out, let it sit, put the battery in and the changed start-up logo shows. It flashes first, then the boot screen, then the rolling dots.

Edit:

- about_nokia_logo.png
- qgn_indi_about_nokia_logo.png

Do pretty much the same type of thing as far as I can tell...

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-04-22 at 04:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:

Tags
access, hack, splashscreen