Active Topics

yes and no. yes because i did try to access the memory from my pc and it is still read only. even when i change the attributes in windows xp it is read only. it allows me to change the attribute but when i try and do anything with it while sitll in windows it gives the read only error.

and I say no because the folder/files are all on the internal 32 GB memory of my phone. my memory card seems to be working find i just wanna get this folder off of my internal memory

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
yes and no. yes because i did try to access the memory from my pc and it is still read only. even when i change the attributes in windows xp it is read only. it allows me to change the attribute but when i try and do anything with it while sitll in windows it gives the read only error.

and I say no because the folder/files are all on the internal 32 GB memory of my phone. my memory card seems to be working find i just wanna get this folder off of my internal memory
So, my guess is that you, by interrupting the initial copying, managed to stop the writing at just the wrong moment making the FAT file system that's mounted under /home/user/MyDocs corrupted.

I'm not sure if there are tools out there to fix broken FAT file systems (like fsck for ext2/ext3) but perhaps you can find something. Until that time, I'd recommend that you backup all the important data that you've saved under /home/user/MyDocs and live with that extra directory and whatever is stored in it.

Try to prune away everything else that's not stored in the hard-to-remove directories under "Dads\ files" to at least free that space up again.

I also had this problem. I think that I found out that some silly trick can be used to remove the read only protection - I think it was either moving or renaming the directory in question. Give it a try.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Windows should know how to fix a corrupted file system during a check. Put the N900 into storage mode, then try to run chkdsk or how it is called in windows .
There should be an option to repair or fix things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
you could try putting mem card in pc using a card reader adaptor, back up everything you want to keep,
then format the mem card and put your data back on the card

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
you could try putting mem card in pc using a card reader adaptor, back up everything you want to keep,
then format the mem card and put your data back on the card
thx for your help. but the memory card is fine. its a file on the internal storage of the n900

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Windows should know how to fix a corrupted file system during a check. Put the N900 into storage mode, then try to run chkdsk or how it is called in windows .
There should be an option to repair or fix things.
thank you so much this is what i did and worked! thanks a lot for the suggestion. all i had to do was right click on the drive in xp and go to tools and then automatically fix disk errors and it then allowed me to delete it

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Bangladesh
Exact same problem i faced today and thanks to michaaa62 for the very simple but useful info.