Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
Really a nice start guys.... i just tested it and it seems to work well. my suggestions would be:

1) when the msg is sent, a notification says 'sending text to number'. there's no notification for sucess of sending. that needs to be there as user has no clue bout the success/failure. it could be a yellow notification script or if it's integrated to conversations, that should take care of this. or the app could close once the text is gone.

2) predictive text would be nice to have

3) touching the text area makes the qwerty keyboard pop up. it should not happen.

4) Minor - address area just shows the number and not the contact name.

that's all i could think of as of now.

thanks once again!

great work!

would like to see the send button on top of the text box next to "to" or somewhere. having send where it is now just makes me nervous. is that possible or what do you all think?

this way there is no accidental sending and more room for a shift button maybe

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Code:
--- vertsms.py.1	2010-05-04 21:30:01.000000000 +0100
+++ vertsms.py	2010-05-05 07:19:03.000000000 +0100
@@ -149,6 +149,11 @@
     def pygobject_new(self, addr):
         return self._api.newgobj(addr)

+def disable_osk(widget):
+    input_mode = widget.get_property("hildon-input-mode")
+    input_mode = input_mode | gtk.HILDON_GTK_INPUT_MODE_NO_SCREEN_PLUGINS
+    widget.set_property("hildon-input-mode", input_mode)
+
 window = hildon.Window()
 window.set_title("VertSMS")
 hildon.hildon_gtk_window_set_portrait_flags(window,hildon.PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT | hildon.PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST)
@@ -156,10 +161,12 @@
 #receiver = hildon.Entry(gtk.HILDON_SIZE_AUTO_WIDTH | 
 #                          gtk.HILDON_SIZE_THUMB_HEIGHT)
 receiver.set_placeholder("To")
+disable_osk(receiver)
 message = hildon.TextView()
 message.set_wrap_mode(gtk.WRAP_WORD)
 message.set_placeholder("Write your message here")
 message.set_cursor_visible(True)
+disable_osk(message)
 buffer = message.get_buffer()
 buffer_receiver = receiver.get_buffer()
^ simple patch to stop the OSK from popping up. Oh, I tested that under the PR 1.2 leak; I hear HILDON_GTK_INPUT_MODE_NO_SCREEN_PLUGINS may not do anything in PR 1.1.

As for "UI of send -button must be improved in order to stop accidental sending", I guess you could bring up a confirmation message (à la Hildon.Note) or you can enable tap-and-hold on the widget which'll only send if you... wait for it... tap and hold on the widget.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-05-05 at 06:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
One very usefull handy application. Just downloaded before work and works fine.

Its appreciated as being a simple vertical application but some notes:

Predictive text desired.

Qwerty keyboard pops up on initial text entry.

Delivery report desired.

App works sending new messages but not when repling via conversation. Possible partial or full integration with Conversations possible ?

Other than that is very handy as it is and already alongside conversations on my desktop.

A big thanks Oss.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Italy
it a great start!!
as other said virtual keyboard is really annoying

also i think it should prompt some pop-up and reset text and number field once message is sent

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Thank you. Great start

i'll wait a bit longer for a better update but kudos to you for creating something for portrait mode. landscape is ok but an option for portrait support is welcome....

i'm not sure which layout is better between the 5800 or x6 but getting some ideas there to make the app more nokia-ish doesn't hurt. i hope there's an option for a qwerty and the traditional alphanumeric layout...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ppriyank View Post
IDK if i can make a request or not...but i will throw it out there...
1.) is there a way to hold down the back space and it delets multiple letters instead of me tapping backspace many times?
2.) is there a way to highlight a word/sentance could be used for copy/paste or just delete the highlighted part.
3.) say if you had to type the word "back" is there a arrow key to press so i dont have to wait for a second or two to type the next letter via the same key?

Thank You...really like the app. i was just wondering if the ABOVE were possible?

Dr. P!

P.S. when i type a word (i'll just give an example) say typing the letter "back" i make an error and type "ba2k" now instead of deleting both the letter K and the number 2, if i just touch after the number 2 (so i can only delete 2) it automatically goes to the end of the message and delets the last typed input!
improving backspace is in todo-list. now it only deletes the last character at textbox

arrows will be added as soon as I improve the text input part and backspace improvements.

I'll have to look into higlighting words etc.

this is glued on top of os so virtual keyboard is a problem. hope I can find a solution to that. for now disabling vkb is the only solution..

no T9 coming by me (there is so much other things to do) but the source is out there for anyone to hop in, just like aspidites did and with his help this is out now, not in july.

and I have a vision that there should be multiple layouts for the keypad. and if that is doable, qwerty keys will be there too as an option.

there is no way I am aware of this could be integrated to conversations unless nokia implements it. conversations is web browser running pages inside device (and completely closed?), my app is python gtk application.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-05-05 at 07:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
excellent work

my idea for the perfect keyboard is the ones like the BB pearl where one key holds 2 letters of the qwerty keyboard.

less space than full qwerty but better than numerical

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
an important functionality that could be added is sending texts to multiple recipients.....

Tags
portrait sms