I think everyone else (Apple for example) will too. The question is, will enough content providers offer a VP8 alternative.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by devu View Post
It's not gonna benefit N900 directly as specific device. But whole web and the way how video content can be distribute. I'm really glad that Flash going to bake this codec in. In addition to dynamic streaming they working on, that will be very powerful stuff. And at least will benefit all devices.
Well... we don't know for sure

Check the comments on the TI link above:
http://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/mobile_mo...open-arms.aspx

We are working at the moment on supporting VP8 across all our OMAP products and we will contact you directly with a schedule for your products based on OMAP3.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I think Google has done quite a bold move here. In one side it's a bad saddening to see everything already written in stone (Matroska, Vorbis, On8's bitstream); on the other side it's nice they're managing to get something done .

Let's see what happens patentwise, but I really doubt they didn't do they homework (unless getting every WebM user sued was part of the masterplan...)

Microsoft will support VP8 in IE9 through plug-ins; instead of natively like H.264.

Regarding OMAP support, I wonder how they are going to do it. Can the circuitry already support the algorithms, so it would only take a firmware update to enable hardware accelerated VP8?

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Not plugin, just installed codec, but still:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...eo-in-ie9.aspx

There is a new bug in MS Connect though, will see how it will turn out.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Microsoft will support VP8 in IE9 through plug-ins; instead of natively like H.264.

Regarding OMAP support, I wonder how they are going to do it. Can the circuitry already support the algorithms, so it would only take a firmware update to enable hardware accelerated VP8?
Maybe the VP8 support in OMAP3 will be hardware assisted only, not fully accelerated. Anyway the two codecs share some similarities after all.

I found interesting that Adobe is going to support VP8. That would mean the VP8 could potentially be found inside Flash...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

So what is exactly is the advantage of VP8/WebM over HTML5 OGG?

Is it because Google wants full control over it and to perpuate the FUD that OGG maybe, might but not really has patent claims?

Some benchmarks at the least would be nice.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-05-19 at 22:20.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Maybe the VP8 support in OMAP3 will be hardware assisted only, not fully accelerated. Anyway the two codecs share some similarities after all.
There's no actual -hardware- for h.264 in the OMAP3. All accelerated codecs on OMAP3 platforms employ both NEON instructions and the onboard DSP.

DSPs with a custom bit of codec software are much cheaper than manufacturing codec-specific silicon, and allow for runtime customization of the encode/decode.

Is it because Google wants full control over it and to perpuate the FUD that OGG maybe, might but not really has patent claims?
Perhaps it is because VP3 is extremely lacking? In any case, Google with VP8 is no worse licensing wise (better, even) than h.264 and they're tossing a wrench in the MPEG-LA's works. And chances are Theora does have patent issues. Pretty much everything does.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-05-19 at 21:57.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
I found interesting that Adobe is going to support VP8. That would mean the VP8 could potentially be found inside Flash...
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform...t_for_vp8.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: