Active Topics

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Nokia share taking some hit today because of this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/g...europe-remain/

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Google Maps Navigation comes to Canada and mainland Europe, remains free as a bird
W00t, Engadget got mixed up on their metaphors. It may be free as in free beer, or just free, but certainly not free as a bird.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Nokia share taking some hit today because of this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/g...europe-remain/
Nokia still has the one feature Google doesn't and that's offline navigation. Which means no roaming when traveling between countries in Europe and when you don't have service you still have navigation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
from the engadget comments:

brararsh
brararsh Posted Jun 9th 2010 6:54AM
Neutral

Here is something interesting..

I just got my less than 1 day old N900 flashed with the latest PR1.2, version 10.2010.19-1.002, but you guys probably don't care about my excitement today and probably want to know more about the MeeGo devices coming.

The specs I saw were a little incomplete, however, the MeeGo device I described below is known as "Dali."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
The latest I've heard:

- penta-band
- 12MP/Dual LED
- 64GB
- Capacitive touch

No confirmation on QWERTY. I would assume "no" because of capacitive touch screen.

In addition to above,

- RM-690 (I'm not 100% sure, but fairly certain it's 690)
- quad-band/penta-band (so it will support every 3G band under the sun like the N8)
- 720p HD recording
- 4" 16:9 capacitive multi-touch screen
- about 0.5-1.0 centimeters thinner than N900 (I forgot if he said 0.5 or 1.0, LOL)
- 13x0 mAh battery (I forget to check, but I suspect the display to be OLED and I was told battery life is expected to be better than N900)

Like I said, the specs are incomplete so there may be small changes/additions before launch.

Now, shockingly (or not shockingly) there will be another MeeGo device, known as "Lankku." I was not able to see specs, much less get much info on it.

Another shocker... one of these devices may be launched towards the end of this year and the other around 2Q-3Q 2011. I forget which one, but I'm pretty sure the goal is to launch Dali at the end of this year.

I got to see a Maemo 5 app in alpha phase called "Smart Search." Pretty damn nifty. It'll end up in Ovi Store, but I don't know when.

I am hesitant to say this because I do not want to start an uproar or negative speculation, but Maemo 6/MeeGo will have some interesting changes, namely Nokia has decided to limit the amount of personalization on the homescreens to make it easier and simpler for general consumers to use. These are my words and how I remember and interpret the info.

Slightly off-note, I saw an interesting blurb about 64GB Samsung flash and 64GB Toshiba flash. Apparently, one was faster than the other, but was more expensive (I'll let you guys guess ). Also saw an interesting blurb on one of the MeeGo devices passing 100,000 chassis flexes and almost surviving a drop. And yet another one about a phone passing a heat test, but the screws turning brown afterwards, LOL.

Yes, I probably should have paid more attention, but it was too much info and I was hungry.

One last thing... I would certainly appreciate it if this info is not propogated (at least my posts not referenced). I do not want to lose a friend that I consider dear to me should this gets tracked back to him.

///Michael

There's one more nugget, but I shouldn't say publically.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
His poor friend..

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I wonder why Nokia isn't using the codenames as official device names.
Nokia Rover instead of N900
Nokia Dali
Nokia Lankku
sounds sooo cooool..

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-06-09 at 12:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Damn nokia. I just saved up enough (been saving since late last year) for a n900, now they pull this. Should I wait until the n9 or just buy the n900 now?

Lankku is Finnish for a plank (as wood). Suspect it has to be bigger then.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to demos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Damn nokia. I just saved up enough (been saving since late last year) for a n900, now they pull this. Should I wait until the n9 or just buy the n900 now?
It's months away from release, until we know more about MeeGo and Nokia's flavour of it then it's impossible to compare. The first MeeGo conference is in November, the first Nokia MeeGo release was (a while back) rumoured for late October.. so as an uninformed but slightly educated guess you're looking towards November time. In Eldar's early leaks we trust

My n900 contract is due upgrade in Dec so timing is almost perfect for me if I decide to go down the MeeGo route... not to rub it in or anything Just it'll be coming up to a year from the first n900 sales.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
from the engadget comments:

brararsh
brararsh Posted Jun 9th 2010 6:54AM
Neutral

Here is something interesting..
This have been available in howardforums for much over a month.... now it seems somebody did throw it to Engadget. Oh well i got a say posting something like that to open forum and you can't blame anybody than yourself.

Lankku would indeed implie it being qwerty-less. I think he even mentions it on on og his posts.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-06-09 at 12:28.