Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Thanks for the tips, but your answer left me a bit confused:
What is cases and where can I find it? Or do I just misunderstand your post?
Gnumeric... don't I need the Gnome desktop for that?
No, for these use cases, you should try gnumeric and abiword.

And yes, you need GNOME, or at least a good chunk of it. Fortunately, Hildon etc. as found in Maemo is more-or-less a mobile implementation of GNOME, so you already have it.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bahrain
The most important feature that I really miss is the ability to search anything in contacts; name, company, title, even notes. I have more than 500 contacts and increasing daily, many have the same first/last name.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Salman View Post
The most important feature that I really miss is the ability to search anything in contacts; name, company, title, even notes. I have more than 500 contacts and increasing daily, many have the same first/last name.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58287

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bahrain
Sounds promising. I will definitely give it a try.. thanks

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
I am very surprised. I had an E90, then an apple, X1 and always reverted back to the E90. As much as the size and weight would frustrate me at times. The shear functionality of the large screen, great keyboard and software made it an extra, extra portable laptop in my pocket. When looked at that way, which pretty much it was, the thing was gold!
Now in a different role and not so work demanding on my phone I thought I would get something smaller and a little nicer in the pocket and more a media player etc. I simply was so use to the screen and large keyboard and couldn't let it go, I like other said was spoilt!
Now don't get me wrong, I love this phone, I really do but find it still not a real comparison or a step up on the E90. Considering we are talking +3yrs tech advancement. The shear smaller screen and dicky keyboard kill it alone. The real lack of office related apps kill it, I know, i know, we have leaf pad, gnumeric spreed sheet, I still don't find them as user friendly/ fast to use as the office packages and still lacking on the power point.
As much as I love the touch factor, noway are you as fast as a decent keyboard such as the E90. The extra power is definately a plus though considering the market and times it is behind by a large margin. Imagin the power if it was a true 1gb chip and overclocked. Multitasking is gold as is the web browser though in all fairness, I would expect these given the years difference.
I see a huge potential for this phone and truely do love it. But I must say and honestly, if used as the E90 was and keeping in mind +3yrs. Not a step up, the smaller screen and keyboard truely let it down, not to mention the shocking battery life. I thought the E90 was bad on power but could use very heavy and still see the day out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Coffee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Not a step up, the smaller screen and keyboard truely let it down, not to mention the shocking battery life. I thought the E90 was bad on power but could use very heavy and still see the day out.
Making it more pocketable has to result in smaller screen/keyboard. Adding more powerful CPU & more andvanded GUI results in increased power drain. It sounds like you expect N900 to bend the laws of physics, and even the laws of logic.

E90 is still king of the "proper" phones at Nokia... Except maybe N97 comes close to taking the king position..

N900 isn't even in the same class.

Personally I'd have N900 over E90 anyday of course ;-)

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Making it more pocketable has to result in smaller screen/keyboard. Adding more powerful CPU & more andvanded GUI results in increased power drain. It sounds like you expect N900 to bend the laws of physics, and even the laws of logic.
Look, don't get me wrong. I am a fan of the N900 and obviously as I have them both and using it over the E90. Not being bias, the N900 isn't in the same league as the E90. After your comments I wonder if you have owned, used or even seen an E90?
It rather defeats the purpose having a phone that is given a decent chip, potentially one of the best OS that enables a 600mhz chip perform tasks on par with it's rivaling 1ghz chipped phones. Then limit it with a smaller screen, dicky keyboard and tiny battery, which bring it down and hinder you using it as a full blown laptop replacement and just a supped up smart phone.
See the E90 had both small screen and larger screen, unless required you left closed and used the smaller screen, this reduced fumbling and saved power. The N900 only has a large screen and touch one which drains like crazy, what do they do, stick a smaller battery in it than the E90. It didn't even come bundle apps wise as a business orientated phone.
All I am saying, it is a great phone, awesome potential and has it's place. However, it is no comparison to the E90, if you have used one and seriously lived off it each day, you would understand what i am saying. It's these little things that put them apart and has always placed the E90 on another level.

Last edited by Coffee; 2010-07-22 at 04:52.

But the symbian browser is pretty bad. There is no comparision browsing on an e90 vs n900.

Originally Posted by breakd0wn View Post
But the symbian browser is pretty bad. There is no comparision browsing on an e90 vs n900.
This is true, but Skyfire 1.5 is pretty good. Not as good as the n900's but with the e90's keyboard, it does more for me than the n900.

Tags
e90 flagship