i switch to 2g whenever i don't need a fast connection, it usually lasts up to 15 hours or so

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I got about 15hours to 30hours depending on my usage. I always online watching video lol. And also sms, calls, music, video, taking picutures, instaling and testing new apps

I would say around ~20hours.

-Always connected to the skype,
-wifi set to maximum power saving and 10mW. (Always on)
-Modified two-desktop-setup
-Enhanced Power user kernel.
-I try to avoid running apps on background
-Listening mp3's about 3 hours a day.

i get around 10 hours constant browsing

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
If I don't really use my N900 at all it will usually last about 9 or 10 hours. I'm not connected to any IM or SIP but it does check e-mails.

If I use it for any reason then time is much shorter.

And sometimes it's really bad depending on application. For example, on Saturday I took phone off charger -- green light, fully charged -- used eCoach for 45 minutes, and 3 hours later my phone was giving me the low battery sound and warnings (i turned it off at that point). So less than 4 hours from fully charged to nearly dead battery.
There's something going on there, a few questions for you:

Is the N900 brand new?
Have you upgraded to the latest Firmware?
Do you have any software which was installed from Extras Devel repositories?

It takes a few weeks(in my case) for the battery to mature and start giving you maximum usage. Untested software could cause battery drain, and the old firmwares were riddled with battery draining bugs.

My battery usage profile is the following:

Skype always connected
Google voice plugin always connected
OMweather updates every 4 hours
Email updates every 15mins(2 accounts)
Xchat (irc client) connected at all times to two channels

If I have these on at all times and on 2-2.5g gsm and connected to wifi at home, and with no user usage in about 8 hours I lose about 20% battery life...

When I am at work I have wifi only on, my gsm turned off, and all the same things connected, and I do a few texts, some browsing(1 hours), a couple of hours of music playing, my battery will only drain about 20-40% over the course of 9-10 hours.

The heaviest battery usage occurs under 3G internet.

GPS usage is actually not bad if it were just up to the gps... the problem is that the stupid map software costantly downloads, so if you are on 3G with costant downloading of maps and gps receiver on, this will give you very high battery drainage.

Also, when using the internet everything depends on traffic, if I'm on irc and I am idling in an extremely active channel, my battery will drain much more.

When I first got the device I had Horrible battery life. maybe 8-10 hours with little usage from a full charge

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Originally Posted by orcocan View Post
i switch to 2g whenever i don't need a fast connection, it usually lasts up to 15 hours or so
I am testing it on 2g mode, this graph looks pretty good.
Attached Images

I get less than 7 hrs if I use AIM messenging on there.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

My suggestion is to have an external battery pack and keep it plugged in while it is in your pocket - you can get those solar chargers with 3500mAH batteries which are about the size of the iphone.

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
My suggestion is to have an external battery pack and keep it plugged in while it is in your pocket - you can get those solar chargers with 3500mAH batteries which are about the size of the iphone.
I bet that won't feel very comfortable in your pocket....

Or you can buy a Mugen Power 2400 mAh battery ... your phone will look really big but to be honest it wasn't really small in the first place :P

Normally I could use my phone for aprox. 9 hours, now the MP battery lasts at least 18 hours (of heavy usage, not even thinking about saving the battery etc. ... of course with heavy I don't mean 18 hours of watching video etc.this I didn't try yet :P)

More about this MP alternative batteries here -> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38068 and my small laic review here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=254